Original Poster

Drive time? California

How long does it take to drive at a normal speed i.e. not extra fast

1. Anaheim to Palm Springs
2. Palm Springs to La Jolla
3. La Jolla to LAX
4. Anaheim to La Jolla
May 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM

You might want to go to mapquest.com and put these points in and let it calculate the time and mileage...then add some for traffic, I would imagine. I'll let the native Californians help you on that.
May 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM

Mapquest is fairly accurate on time when there is not traffic. Sigalert.com is a good resource to check traffic speeds along the freeway before you head out.

La Jolla to LAX is approximately 2 hours with no traffic and about 3 hours during traffic if there are no accidents. If there is traffic, I would take the Toll Road (73) between Newport Beach and Dana Point. AM Radio Station (1070) gives good traffic updates.

Anaheim to La Jolla will be similar in time as LAX to La Jolla.
May 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM

Whatever mapquest says, add an hour or two. I'm not being funny...LA is just soooooo unpredictable. The last thing you want is to find yourself in bumper-to-bumper traffic ON TOP of being afraid you're going to be late. So, at least if you give yourself plenty of time, you won't be so stressed by whatever traffic you might get caught in.
May 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM

I like maps.google.com for this kind of information.
May 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM

1) 1 hour and 45 minutes on a good day

2) two hours and 30 minutes

3) two hours

4) one hour and 30 minutes

You will never drive "extra fast" anywhere in this area!!! Well maybe there are a few stretches where you can go fast but the time will be lost when you are stuck in a traffic jam doing a snail's pace.
May 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM

Mary 2go's estimates are pretty good.
May 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM

Mary2Go has the times I would give you. It hasn't taken me more than two hours to get to LAX for a long time. Between La Jolla and LAX take the toll road no matter what the traffic is like. It's a nicer drive and if you're lucky you'll get a great view of the coast. Also, use the car pool lanes which begin at San Juan Capistrano going north. Sometimes they're faster, sometimes not, but you can move in and out. Watch the signs so you know when to get out of the car pool lane to make your exit though.

"Normal" speed will be about 75 if your lucky, much slower if the traffic's bad. If you drive at the speed limit (65) stay in the lanes on the right.

Really, it's not necessary to add an hour or two to Mapquest's time. Maybe half an hour if you want to be in plenty of time to check in at LAX.
May 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

Agree, Mary2's estimates are pretty good. I would say #2 is doable in 2 to 2:15 though if you take the Highway 74 route over the Santa Rosa Mtns from Palm Desert.

I also agree that there are so many traffic variables along the route that who knows, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

PSL