Los Angeles 3 days

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Vania

Los Angeles 3 days

I've read a lot of posters but I really don't know what to do in 3 days in LA.
Can anybody help me?
I appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Keith Legg

I spent a week in LA last year - about long enough!

I assume you'll want to do the "Hollywood" thing - see the sign and the stars. To be absolutely honest, I found this part of LA really disappointing and a HUGE let-down. The shops were run down, full of tat, and the whole area just felt unsafe. Unless this is a particular ambition, avoid it.

You should definately visit the Getty Centre, however. Even if you don't like art - and I'm not a huge fan - it's worth the trip up just for the views over LA. If you have a car, go at the weekend, otherwise you will have to book your parking space.

Venice beach is possibly the most wierd place I've ever visited, and for this reason I would suggest you go there! As someone I was speaking to in my hotel put it, it's where all the wierdos in LA go to sunbathe, and some of the stalls there are just hilarious.

The Farmers' Market is also worth a wander around. I picked up on this from a recommendation on this forum and although it doesn't take long to look at it's a good place just to hang for a bit.

You should try to visit one of the theme parks if you can - my personal favourite is Disneyland, but Universal Studios does have the better rides etc. If you're interested more in the technical side, then Warner Bros. does do tours of the actual lots without the theme park elements, and although I didn't go on this I'm told it's better than Universal.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:53 AM
michele

Vania,
Search for a recent post about a three day trip to LA--lots of good information.What do you like to do? There's just about everything you want, but it's spread out. I love the Grauman's Chinese theatre with the footprints in Hollywood. I also enjoy the stars on the sidewalk. Further,I think it's appropriate that Hollywood is on the tacky side. However, most people are disappointed in the area.

If I were you I'd take a bus tour of Hollywood, go to Venice Beach, the Getty (great view, so-so collection), and walk around Rodeo Drive. You might want to squeeze in a studio tour, and if you're interested in art deco, call the Los Angeles Conservancy for a walking tour of downtown. The finest collection of art deco buildings anywhere.

M.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
vania

Thank you for your advises.
Venice, Santa Monica, Rodeo Drive, Warner, Getty. It's ok.
What about Walk of Fame, Mann's Chinese Theatre, shows?
Thank you again.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Merilee

Hi Vania...my suggestion is a trip to Griffith Observatory where you will get a panoramic view of LA and the incredible smog that hovers over the city...you will also get a birdseye view of the famous Hollywood sign from there...there are some interesting exhibits inside the observatory...if you decide to drive right up to the Hollywood sign make sure you have precise directions because there are winding roads and hills throughout the neighborhood and no signs to guide you...after that you can spend a little while checking out the footprints at Mann's and take a short walk down Hollywood Boulevard's Walk of Fame...you'll be fine during the day...you didn't mention where you're traveling from, but you should go especially if it's a first and only visit...then you can get a bite to eat at Mel's on Sunset...good food at reasonable prices, but with great people watching opportunities if you sit by a window facing Sunset, or outside...keep in mind this is not gourmet fare...burgers, fries, shakes, salads, omelettes, etc....there are other trendy eating establishments along Sunset...from there you can stay on Sunset to get to Beverly Hills if you want to see the houses or walk down Rodeo Drive...Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach are also worth a visit...Melrose Avenue has some trendy boutiques and restaurants (or it did) and Hollywood has alot of great thrift shops where you can pick up some one of a kind items...one chain is called Out of the Closet...look up Audiences Unlimited to get tickets to a TV show taping...many of them are still in production until April...tbere's also a place (I'll look for the name) that lists the locations of daily shoots for tv shows and movies throughout the LA area...then there's the nightlife...but you have to make sure you're on THE LIST.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Deb

Great advice, but the Griffith Observatory is CLOSED for a three-year renovation.

If this is your first visit to LA, I would suggest going to Hollywood, seeing the Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre. There is a new development there and things are starting to improve.

No one mentioned Old Town Pasadena yet, but that is a very nice area to walk around--lots of shops and restaurants.

Have a great trip!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Merilee

Thanks for the tip about Griffith Observatory Deb...I took a friend there July 2001 and had no idea it was closed now.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:37 AM
scott

1- santa monica, venice, malibu
2- hollywood, beverly hills, studio
3- pasadena

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:22 PM
michele

The Chinese theatre is back to its original name: Grauman's Chinese theatre. Most people I know called it Grauman's or the "Chinese", never Mann's.

You can see the Hollywood sign from the second level of the new Highland and Hollywood mall. Good view,too.

Scott's suggestions look good to me. Although I like downtown; Olvera Street, Union Station, the general architecture.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Thyra

I just have to laugh when people bag on Hollywood, for heavens sake, we own a house there that's tripled in value in 10 months! Hows that for renovating an area? The Grauman's Chinese and the new Oscar Center/Kodak Theatre have definately reinvented this area, property is so hot on Hollywood Blvd, that there is a waiting list for people trying to lease space for trendy clubs.
I do include the caveat that East of Vine gets seedy, but the new center has definately caused an upswing in both suburbanite foot traffic and tourism. Hollywood is a great place to visit, you can most likely see anything you want in 1 day, since it's fairly condensed in and around the Grauman's chinese. Email me directly if you want more info. We have met several Fodorites for coffee on Hollywood Blvd., since LA is the type of city that you need a little insider info to appreciate. Welcome to LA.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Deb

An addendum to my last post...

Just checked the Grittith Observatory website. The observatory itself is closed, but the grounds are still open until the beginning of summer, meaning you can still drive up there and catch a great view, but you won't be able to go inside the observatory for the shows and exhibits.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Deb

Oops---one more thing. Someone referred to the "Shoot Sheet" in their post.

Here's a link:
http://www.eidc.com/EIDC_and_Communi...oot_sheet.html

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 10:45 AM
max

Scott's suggestions.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 10:01 AM
vania

Hi, all
I'm getting some excellent suggestions.
Thanks a ton!
vania

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
xxx

top for jennifer

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Patrick

And now I'll top for heather.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:55 PM
j

Go to website www.WhereLA.com it is the magazine in hotel rooms, has hot tips, shopping, city tours, most informative.Enjoy J

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:59 PM
Renee