Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking to go to Banff, Jasper, Emerald Lake, and Glacier National Park...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:48 AM
nancy

Anyone have any suggestions of places to stay...what to see and do in any of these areas??

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:50 AM
x

Post over on the Canada board and I am sure you will get plenty of replies

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:45 PM
Brenda

Was in Jasper and Banff last July. So gorgeous.
Try www.jaspercanadianrockies.com for tourism and lodging info for Jasper.
For Banff try www.banfflakelouise.com.
We found that cabin rsorts were great as most had sleepers in the living room and a separate bedroom or 2, so could accommodate more persons for the same price. Don't know how big your party will be but the cabin resorts are really quaint and woodsy in feel and some are located away from the mid-towns and often on the lakes or rivers. You will love the Canadian Rockies. Lots to do: hiking, rafting, canoing, wildlife watching, swimming, enjoying the hot springs, and so much more.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Jenn

We stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel and loved it. The Chateau Lake Louise is another great hotel right on Lake Louise with a view of the glacier.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
bettyk

Nancy, I agree with Jenn. You can't beat the Banff Springs Hotel or the Chateau Lake Louis. Pricey, but worth it.

I remember that we took a tour when we were in Banff, half day or so I think. We arranged it through the hotel and it was really great.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Connie

Glacier had some neat old lodges if you don't require upscale, modern accomodations. Many Glacier is in an excellent location for views and the best hiking trails.

Lake McDonald is on the west side and situated on a lake and closer to a village setting with services and rafting

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Carol

Went to Glacier in July of 2002. Stayed in West Glacier, which is a 10 minute drive from the park. If you like the B&B experience, Silverwolf Chalets are wonderful(individual cabins for 2 adults). Definitely take the hour helicopter tour with Glacier-Heli Tours. Also take the "Jammer" tour on the "Going-to-the-Sun Road." Took this in the morning, and then drove it on our own in the afternoon.

Also did Banff on the same trip. My personal opinion is don't stay in Banff (too many people). We stayed in Cannamore, which is about a 20 minute drive from the town of Banff. The Georgetown Inn was a pleasant B&B inn with an English country home feel. Great views of the mountains. My best is advice is to take all of the scenic drives and stop at the sites listed in the park guide you get when you enter Banff National Park. Relax and enjoy.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Eva

We also stayed at Georgetown Inn in Canmore (that's the correct spelling) and highly recommend it. Ask them about restaurants in center of Canmore. They gave us great recommendations. In the village of Lake Louise we stayed at Post Hotel - great place and not overrun with tourists like Chateau Lake Louise. We liked Jasper more than Banff, that was too crowded. You'll love this trip. It is magnificent country.