Reload this Page >

Looking for vacation ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Debbie

Hi, I'm looking for ideas for a Dec. vacation. We want to leave the snow behind & want temp @ 85. 2 kids (10 & 11). Not interested in cruise (did that last yr.) We love snorkling/horseback riding/etc. Any suggestions??? Thanks! Debbie

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Kay

--Florida Keys
--San Antonio, Austin, Hill Country Texas (doubt you could swim here, but should have horse back riding options)
--San Diego
--Tuscon

Have you thought about Mexico or the Caribbean?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:15 AM
abe

New Orleans and Biloxi Beach Mississippi (45 min. away) are a good combo and make a nice week long trip, though I doubt it is 85 there in December (maybe 60s) For that kind of weather I suggest the carribean. Try a Jamaica all-inclusive!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:35 AM
OliveOyl

For the best snorkeling and possible 85 degree temps, better head to Aruba, Grand Cayman, Belize, and the like.

Question...my husband grew up outside Biloxi. He always said the water on the MS Gulf Coast, esp that area, was unswimmable because of pollution from the Mississippi River. Has that changed? Back in the 60's, you just plain didn't swim in it unless you didn't know better...(or was that a myth his parents spread to keep him away from Biloxi gt;)

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:45 AM
pam

The water from the Mississippi River right around New Orleans is not very clean and I personally would not swim there. I would not call this water polluted though. The problem is the Mighty Mississip is large full of force and carries a great deal of mud, silt, and other debris which is dposits in the ocean at its mouth, it isn't chemically polluted or anything. Also the further east you go the cleaner it gets. Biloxi Beach is fine for swimming these days.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Debbie

Cruise last Dec. was to the Caribbean - Mexico, Jamaica, Cayman Island. Weather was so bad the port was closed in the Cayman Island so we never got to go there. Mexico & Jamaica weren't that warm either (not warm enough to swim). I don't know if this was unusual. Year before we went to Hawaii in Dec. & weather was great. Would love to go back to Hawaii but I want the kids to experience different places. We don't necessary have to stay in the U.S. if you have other suggestions. Thanks again. Debbie

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:09 PM
J T Kirk

Belize or Costa Rica should both be warm enough. And both offer snorkling. I;m not sure about Belize, but you can horse back ride in Costa Rica. In Belize, you have some Mayan ruins to explore, and if you want you can make a day trip to Guatemala to see Tikal, the grandaddy of ruins. I think your kids will like the rain forests, what with the monkeys and spiders and lizards (oh, my). In Costa Rica, you can do white water rafting and visit some volcanoes. In my opinion, Costa Rica is a little more "advanced" when it comes to tourism. Belize is still a little behind the times, but I like the country nonetheless. For someplace in the US, I'd pick the Keys. I've been there many times in December, and have usually found the weather accomodating. Have fun.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:41 PM
MmeIrish

If you want summer in the winter here, you need to go south of the equator. I went last year with my daughter to Buenos Aires Argentina. Was a fabulous trip and there is a beach area called Pinamar a short drive from Buenos Aires. There are Iguazu waterfalls (www.greatestplaces.org) all grouped together and excursions can be booked for very little cost from any travel agency in Buenos Aires (booking from here first is BIG mistake cost wise). It will be hot !!!
The things you see and hear in the jungle, (butterflies, monkeys, etc.) are something the kids will love.
It is a long flight, but very worth the trip. Enjoy!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:07 PM
Angie

Aruba! Average temp all year is 85. Out of the hurricane zone. Perfect vacation!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 06:14 PM
Howdy

A dude ranch in Arizona - a perfect family vacation! My grandkids loved it last Christmas.