Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions on a family vacation...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a family vacation for sometime in June and just cannot decide on where. Every destination I read about sounds wonderful and I'm having trouble narrowing down a spot. Here are the facts:

Vacation is with my husband and 18 mo. old daughter.

Will be redeeming miles on AA or Southwest. We are departing from Buffalo and have one week.

We love national parks, zoos, aquariums, beaches, small towns and anything else kid oriented.

Most of our stay will be spent at Starwood hotels (again, redeeming points) but wouldn't mind a few nights at a local B&B. We will rent a car but don't want to spend all of our time in it.

So far, I have considered Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, the Bahamas and Yellowstone. California, Arizona and Florida are out.

Thank you kindly for any advice!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:51 AM

have you considered Kiawah Island? Drop me an e-mail and I can tell you all about it. I even have photos. It is great. In fact, we are considering taking our son who will be 1 year there this July.

[email protected]
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:00 AM
GoTravel

kcap, I would go where you and your husband would like to go. At this point, your toddler will not care where you are and you aren't going to have that luxury for too many more years.

I'm of the impression you are looking for a cooler (as in tempurature) destination?

For a warm weather break, Atlantis in the Bahamas is very kid friendly and mom & dad friendly.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:01 AM

If you've never been to Yellowstone, I'd suggest you definitely go there. The summer is the perfect time of year to be there. But I'd also suggest that you stay in the park at the great old Inn at Old Faithful. And I don't have any idea if there is a STarwood at Jackson Hole but if there is, that would be a great trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Ewww. 18-MONTH not years? Definitely not Yellowstone. You don't want to be constantly watching that toddler, worried beyond your wildest fears (and rightfully so) that she is going to wander into one of those geysers and get boiled alive. This is a real fear. There is a book about all the people over the years who have died in this park, including children who wander fearlessly into the water. The park has been sued to put up signs but refrains from putting up barriers to nature. I do NOT recommend Yellowstone, it will be NO fun for you to worry constantly about your daughter.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Yellowstone is a great place even with a 18 month old. The first time we took our two boys one was 14 month and the other was 4 years and we were camping in a tent-trailer!

The 14 month old had been walking since he was 10 months old, so he was a toddler. We brough our double stroller and they were never in any danger as long as you pay attention. City streets can be as dangerous if you don't pay attention!

Our boys, even at those young ages loved Yellowstone. I would recommend either bring a stroller or child carry backpack or buying a cheap umbrella stroller when you arrive.

I would recommend either staying in the park or at West Yellowstone just outside the park.

Utahtea
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:38 AM

I agree with Utahea. We've visited Yellowstone several times with small children and never had any problems.

You're likely to see many animals: elk, moose, deer, and buffalo. You will probably spend a lot of time in the car, however, which isn't always nice for an 18 month old.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I love Yellowstone and so did my 10-year-old. But I think it would be a lot more fun to not have to be so vigilant on your vacation. There are plenty of dangers in the world to contend with without putting yourself in harms way.

But it's your vacation and I encourage you to do what works best for you.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM
GoTravel

TG, only you would missplace a toddler in a gyser

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM

GoT, we bought this book when we were there called Death in YellowSTone: Accidents and Foolhardiness in the First National Park. The first chapter is called Hold Fast To Your Children: Death in Hot Water. My son has been an avid reader since he was amazingly young and I gave him that to read so that I wouldn't have to be continually watching him like a hawk, scare the bejesus into him. Of course he sees all these horror movies and is blasé, but it did faze him and make him more aware. This is more than a common occurance. Dogs get boiled alive there all the time. Mostly what happens is people get drunk and fall in.

Kcapuani, I of course do not think you would do such a thing.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM

TG, I also read that book on our visit to Yellowstone! It sure made me extra careful around those geysers, and I wouldn't want to chase a toddler around the hot pots!
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Well, it turns out that AA doesn't fly to Jackson Hole so Yellowstone is out. I guess I'll save it for when my daughter is older - by then I'll have resolved myself to a minivan and we'll make the big drive out west!

tinathetoad - For some reason I thought that Kiawah was a private island. I remember a co-worker telling me that I had to know someone with property there or something. I'd love to look into though because I was planning to take my mother to Charleston in Aug for her birthday.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm still thinking about the Pacific NW and the Bahamas, although GoTravel - Atlantis is alittle out of our budget
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I read the Death in Yellowstone book, too. I constantly told my younger son not to go near the hot water. When he got to school that Sept., his teacher asked him what he saw in Yellowstone. He replied, "hot water".

KC - We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Paradise Island. You have full privileges at the Atlantis for a lot cheaper price. My boys loved it here.

Cape Cod is a great family desination, with great beaches, small towns. My boys loved the Pirate Cruise when they were younger. You could combine it with Boston and ride the Ducks.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM

I was also thinking Cape Cod when I read your post. I love the Cape and can't wait to take my kids one day to visit. From Buffalo it is not that long of a drive (10 hours ish I think) or you could fly into Logan and rent a car.

My only concern is that if you want to go into the ocean, it would be too cold in June. But, if you are more interesed in visiting the ocean and swimming in a pool, or even one of the beautiful freshwater ponds that the Cape has to offer, you would be okay.

There are also so many family-friendly motels and hotels (and even rentals) on the Cape that you should be able to find a perfect place.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 05:34 PM
jgg

Sounds like you want to make your FF miles count so fly cross country!

I suggest you consider the Pacific NW. I am not as familiar with Seattle and Vancouver as I am with Portland. In Portland there is a great zoo, a wonderful new Children's Museum, and OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) which has a great area just for little kids!! Always some kind of activity or festival going on down at the waterfront on the Willamette River.

Plenty for you and your husband to see and do as well. Short trips to the Columbia River Gorge, Multnomah Falls, or even to the coast. Great shopping, just walking around downtown, in the Pearl District great galleries and NW 23rd. Portland has great restaurants too.

Old Jan 20th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would have to say Vancouver (rather hard to reach from BUF on AA, maybe SW is easier.) Outstanding aquarium, kids zoo, playgrounds, little trains, water park, geese, trees to climb in... and that's just what's in Stanley Park. Add cheap hotels using Starwood or Priceline, great shopping, huge Chinatown, excursions up to Whistler...

I love the Pacific NW and think Seattle and Portland are great. But for little kids and their folks on a short vacation - no contest. When your daughter is older, those cities will be more fun.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Parents have to be constantly vigilant on any vacation taken with young children! Just because you don't go to Yellowstone doesn't mean you can relax & let your guard down.

Utahtea
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM

Pick where you want to go and then make sure the flight arrangements are easy - you don't want to change planes 3 times with a toddler and all the junk you will be hauling.

I did not find Portland interesting enough for a week. Seattle/Vancouver combination would be nice. Nice mix of city and natural attractions.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! So, it is down to Vancouver or the Bahamas. The Bahamas because it would be the easiest vacation (fairly quick flight, no driving etc) and Vancouver because I'd love to see the city and the dramatic scenery around the area.

gardyloo - You're right - it is difficult to fly anywhere from Buffalo. I've looked into AA & it is too impossible to get directly into Vancouver. We'd probably fly SW into Seattle, spend 2 nts then drive up to Vancouver. I'd love to see Whistler as well but am not sure what to do there in the summer besides hike. I'll post on the Canada board to find out more info.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 06:56 AM

We really enjoyed Victoria on Vancover Island.

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -