kam

Do a search here for San Francisco
Go to www.sfvisitors.org or www.sfgate.com

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:59 AM
garyt

Marie - www.beachblanketbabylon.com

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Kate

You should definitely go on the Alcatraz Night Tour! Spooky, scary, and beautiful all at the same time. Interesting programs, and a lot less crowded than going during the day. A few more bucks, but totally worth it, especially since it's a fundraiser for the National Park. I think you can buy tickets at www.blueandgoldfleet.com. Enjoy SF!

Kate

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 12:35 PM
toldham

depends whether you've been there before, whether you have a car and what you like to do--i like to take a ferry and take a trolley---golden gate park is interesting, as is the museum of contemporary art----driving over the golden gate bridge is pretty neat

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Marie

A special thanks to Kate I posted this question for a friend and that is right up his alley and he will be celebrating his first anniversary, they are more adventure travelers. He already booked it.

Thanks again.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:33 AM
lili

check out the seals at pier 39, also, the japanese tea garden is small but nice for a stroll, the area around the opera house is quite hip and they may have some good performances going on.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Jenelle

Marie,
I was in SF a couple months ago and completely fell in love. If not for the horrid rent I would be packing right now. I am from a place that simply does not know what a real park is. So I would suggest bringing a throwdown blanket and a good pair of walking shoes and seeking out Golden Gate Park. SF is dotted with all kinds of little parks and patches. I would skip the whole pier thing- it's very smelly. But I had now idea that Alcatraz had an evening tour- it sound GREAT. I found a web site called A Local's Guide to Visiting San Francisco- it has some good ideas and the man who runs it is just too sweet to be true. Of course, you can't forget to leave SF and head to Sonoma- a very relaxing drive, once you get over the bridge. It's a shame baseball season is over though because the stadium is a real treat. I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did! Have fun!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:33 PM
steve

I'll second Beach Blanket Babylon.

Bike through Golden Gate Park.

If you have a car- drive across the Golden Gate to Marin and go to Muir Woods.

Italian dinner in North Beach (same night as Beach Blanket Babylon).

Buy some sourdough bread.

Old Nov 14th, 2001, 12:25 AM
Bill

Want to second Jenelle's suggestion about the Local's Guide to SF -- articulate, well-written, and full of things to do and not do ... Don't miss this gentleman's site if you want an insider's view to San Francisco ...
http://www.dreamworld.org/sfguide/

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Robin

Re Local's Guide-- thank you Alfredo!