looking for restaurant near briar street theater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing Blue Man Group for the first time over labor day. I'm hoping to walk to restaurant after show since we're staying downtown on mag. mile. Any suggestions, the family says good italian, but we're pretty wide open. Two older teens, so don't need any high end gormet, but would like it to be a unique chicago treat since we've never been. Sun. night going to see the one and only Jimmy Buffet. Guess we'll get something after the show at Wrigley, any ideas their either would be appreciated. Thanks, I'm a first timer on the forum, I'm fascinated!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM

I may be totally misunderstanding you, but after reading your post, I'm wondering whether you know that the Briar Street Theater isn't walking distance from the Mag. Mile. At least, not my idea of walking distance. Maybe you do know and still want a restaurant near the theater. Or maybe one thing has nothing to do with the other and you just happened to mention where your hotel is. It's probably just me. But I thought if I was confused, others may be too. And it may be worth your while to clarify whether you're expecting to be able to walk from your hotel to the theater to a restaurant.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM

Hmmm. I interpreted the post as indicating he knows the theatre isn't walking distance from the hotel since he specifically says "since we're staying downtown on mag. mile". I think he's saying he wants a restaurant near the theatre rather than return "downtown" to the hotel and then find a restaurant.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM

"It's probably just me" Obviously, it is! You don't seem to have had the least problem with it, Patrick! Sorry about that.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:51 PM

I don't know if I'd call it "good italian", but I would call it "good pizza". There's a Giordano's stuffed pizza place a few blocks east on Belmont. It's roughly 2 blocks further east of the Belmont el stop, on the north side of the street. The spinach pizza is divine!

Then, it's a quick trip down the red line to either Chicago or Grand and a couple blocks east to your hotel after - easy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM

LHarbar, I believe you are wanting to have the names of restaurants in the immediate areas of the Briar Street Theatre and Wrigley Field and not ones down on the Magnificient Mile.

If so, here are the ones I recommend:

For great Italian close to Briar Street: LaTavernetta on the east side of Broadway between Briar and Barry. (Broadway is 1 block east of Halsted.) Below street level right under Monsignor Murphy's.

Also, at the corner of Barry and Broadway is Stella's Diner. Look for the big hand holding the silverware right over the doorway.

On Halsted, recommend Yoshi's Cafe (corner of Halsted and Aldine). The cuisine is Asian fusion. If you want to try Kobe-style beef, Yoshi's serves it. Also has a nice outdoor patio area and a good brunch.

For pizza, go to My Pie (the mathematical Pi sign is over the door) on N. Clark.

If you are going on Friday to see Blue Man Group, the Duke of Perth has one of the best fish-n-chips in town and at $8.95 for all you can eat - great deal (on Wednesdays and Fridays). Get there EARLY. Sometimes service is slow, as you can imagine-the place gets packed.

It's been a little while since I've been to Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder on N. Clark - but for a slice of Chicago history, the area is prime ground. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre occurred right across the street. (It's now just an empty lot.)

Speaking of Chicago history, you aren't too far from where Dillinger was killed after the Lady in Red squealed to the cops (in the alley behind the Biograph Theatre).

For anyone that is going to be in the vicinity of Wrigley Field, I always recommend Tango Sur (Argentian Steakhouse) on N. Southport for dinner (or lunch on Sundays). It's BYOB (which I don't think is an issue with two teens, and maybe a plus), no reservations, live Tango music on Thursdays. To get to Tango Sur from
Wrigley Field, walk 5 blocks west on Addison to Southport - turn north (right)--it's about 3 blocks north, just north of the Music Box Theatre. Of course, you can take a cab or bus, but I imagine the traffic will be at a standstill after the concert, so just easier to walk.

Lastly, for brunch BEFORE the Jimmy Buffet concert, go to North Pond on the north end of the lagoon in Lincoln Park - they have a lovely brunch and the setting cannot be beat. It is approximately 1.5 mile to the south of Wrigley Field. You can either take a cab there - or just walk west to Clark Street and pick up the #22 bus which drops you right off at the ballpark.

Hope these suggestions may be of interest to you!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM

Sorry again about my earlier confusion (a senior moment,LOL). Just wanted to say that I agree with jlm on Giordano's. I just recently learned that they've taken the chain nationwide (haven't ever run across one anywhere else, myself). So it may be something you can get at home. But, if not, I think it's a great way to experience Chicago style pizza. And probably a good choice with teens. The stuffed zucchini is very good too!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Wow, sorry for the mass confusion. No, I realized the theater is nowhere near mag. mile. I was just thining we'd want to eat right after the show instead of waiting till we got back downtown. I'll learn...anyway, thanks for the helpful info. Sound like some good ideas, this is very helpful. I'm guessing travel by the subway (El) is fairly simple and easy. Hopefully no real need for taxi's it sounds like. Thanks again.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM

The el is definitely easy! You can see maps and more at www.transitchicago.com and you can also read about their transit passes there, good for unlimited rides on the el/bus. You'll easily use the el for both Blue Man and the concert (unless you decide to walk because the el is too full).
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Bucca di Beppo is a nice (but loud) family style Italian restaurant on N. Clark (south of Briar, north of Surf on the east side of clark). Its a chain, but I like it.

There is a nice Crepe place on the west side of Clark just north of Diversey.

Duck Walk is a very good thai place on the south side of Belmont, west of Clark. There's also an Ann Sathers right around there.

Cousins is a great mediterranean restaurant on the east side of Broadway, south of briar, north of Diversey.

Joy's noodles is a great noodle shop on the east side of Broadway, just north of Belmont.

Ping pong is a an asian fusion place on the west side of broadway, opposite Joy's noodles.

If you are going to walk down to Diversey, then there are more options: Pars Cove, Alladin, etc.

If you walk of broadway towards Wrigley field, there's Angelina's (besides Ping Pong and Joy's Noodles)

Of course, all these are in addition to what exiledprincess has already mentioned. I live a couple of blocks from Briar Street theater and there are a whole slew of restaurants around there.

Have fun!