Looking for paradise in Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girl friend (not romantic) and I - both in our fifties and both work for schools - so we are looking for a reasonably priced vacation in Hawaii during school break between June 23 and July 9 - our budget may not allow us to stay all that time, but that's the range. We both love nature more than city. I've already been to Kauai, so I'd prefer another island. I'd love to float in natural salt-water without a lot of waves - are there any inlets or bays? There need to be cabanas or umbrellas on the beach with very great sun protection for my friend. We would probably do some yoga, take a hike, visit a botanical garden, see the sights, walk on the beach, socialize with other travelers - and lounge! We love charming and quaint. Any recommendations for an inn or a charming condo or bungalow or traditional Hawaiian lodgings. We're not into the bar scene. A little luxury would be nice - jacuzzi anyone? Any suggestions where we should go, where we could stay? Thanks! Catherine in Santa Monica, CA
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Aloha Catherine,

Check out the north shore (around Paia) and upcountry areas of Maui. Recently stayed in an awesome little cottage outside of Paia and had the best time. Accomodations were on the ocean, beautiful, natural and simplistic with a sprinkling of luxury (no jacuzzi though)...no beach, but we could walk or drive to one. Shopping and good eats in Paia, Heulo and Makawao towns. Several yoga studios to pick from. Fruit & Flower farms, Lavendar farms etc. Actually, i think there is an organic fruit and flower farm that offers unique accomodations. In fact, those areas are full of unique accomodations.

The only thing I don't think the area would offer that you desire is floating in the water and availability of cabanas. But maybe summertime on the north shore is calm enough for that?? I know it is on Oahu. The north shore of Oahu may be another option for you as well... You can float in Waimea Bay, jump of the big rock with all the kids, visit the Waimea gardens and falls. Bike into Haleiwa town for shopping and eats. There's a Bikram yoga studio... or you could drop in to one of Paul's classes at the Turtle Bay Hotel.

I hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any questions!

aloha
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Catherine,
Where did you stay in Paia?

Catagaie,

Check out the Makena area on Maui. The Maui Prince hotel is a good value. It's on a great beach. It and the area meet many of your requirements.

-Bill
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Bill, the property is called Kilohana. The best pics on the web are on this site.

http://www.donnachameleon.com/kilohana.html
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Makai1 has said great things about Keiki Beach bungalows on Oahu's North Shore. North Shore is quite different from Waikiki (just in case you're worried about the tourist rumors). You mention budget as a factor and generally Oahu is usually cheaper than travel to the other islands. A fun mix might be the casual local vibe of a condo rental in Kihei (you'll get use of a pool & jacuzzi and just walk across to KamII or KamIII beaches and then go for a couple nights stay in Hana area for access to some hiking and seclusion. We stayed at http://www.hana-maui.com/accommodations.html which also had access to a jacuzzi.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM

If you really want to save money, check out www.hostelz.com and check some of the hostels in Hawaii. I stayed at one in Maui and there were many teachers there. They also offered free tours each day and you and your friend can get a private room.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:21 AM

You might want to check on a cottage my husband and I rented near the Waipio Valley--http://www.hawaiicliffhouse.com/
it may be too expensive for your budget but it was lovely and secluded--the grounds were like a botanic garden. The pictures on the website are accurate.
As for things to do--You could hike Waipio Valley, visit Main Street in Honoka'a--it has some interesting shops, visit Hawaiian Tropical Botanic Gardens on the way to Hilo, go to the Hilo Farmers Market for great fresh fruits and vegies, crafts, go to Waimea for wonderful upscale restaurants--Merriman's and Daniel Thiebuat's (go for lunch--same food much cheaper. The Kohala Coast beaches are a 30-45 min drive away-and are pretty much always sunny--(go to Wal Mart and buy a beach umbrella if your friend needs sun protection. You could drive to Hawi up the coast highway and have lunch there or in Kapauu--both have several nice restaurants and some shops--drive on to the Pololu Valley lookout and back to Waimea on the road over the Kohala mountains.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:56 AM

This might be a start to your trip. American Airlines is doing their big 25th anniversary celebration and part of it includes 6 days/ 5 nights in Ko' Olina (Oahu), $100 off a rent car, and 7,500 miles for $699. Ko'Olina is a little isolated, but it does have four lagoons you can float in all day. Half of the rooms have a full kitchen and the other half have a sink, microwave, and eating utensils only.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM

This might be a start to your trip. American Airlines is doing their big 25th anniversary celebration and part of it includes 6 days/ 5 nights in Ko' Olina (Oahu), $100 off a rent car, and 7,500 miles for $699. Ko'Olina is about a half hour from Honolulu. It has four lagoons you can float in all day. Half of the rooms have a full kitchen and the other half have a sink, microwave, and eating utensils only. There are also 2 pools and 3 hot tubs. It is not charming and quaint, but it is quiet. Here is the link, http://www.marriottvillas.com/american/ko/.
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Kingfisherqueen

http://www.a1kapohovacation.com/lagoon.html

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

You guys are just too helpful! I'm getting very excited about this trip! We'll be planning this weekend and will consider everyone's great advice.

Someone told me to take my email address off of Fodors. Does anyone know how to do that?

Thank you kindly,
Catagaie in Santa Monica, CA
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM
trippinkpj

Catagaie- If you go to Maui check out Garden of Eden on the road to Hana. it's a beautiful/ serene spot: http://www.mauigardenofeden.com/
--Karen
PS- I'm an Upcountry fan myself.

Old May 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM

"Someone told me to take my email address off of Fodors. Does anyone know how to do that?"

You should be able to do this by clicking on "profile" at the top of the page.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:34 AM

have you ever considered moloka'i? when your wish to "float in the still water" reminds me that there are our ancient fishponds all along the south shore. there are idyllic little coves and white sand beaches. just google molokai and see what this island can offer you. from honolulu there are reasonable flights available, one airline is molokai airshuttle.