looking for great restaurant for early dinner near US Open

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got tickets to an evening session of the US Open (Arthur Ashe Stadium) on Sunday, September 4. The match starts at 7:00pm. Staying in the Manhattan (SoHo) and taking the subway out to Flushing. Any suggestions for a great restaurant for early dinner near the stadium? Open to all types of cuisine as long as it's vegetarian friendly.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Especially if this is your first trip to the Open I'd forego plans for having dinner outside the facility and instead I'd go there early and soak in the atmosphere and dine right there. True, it's not 5-star dining, but it's not bad and it makes more sense.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:12 AM

Best bets (providing you do not eat inside the complex) would be Chinese in Flushing. If you are not looking specifically for a vegetarian restaurant, you might take a peek at the details I gave on this thread; all of the places mentioned will offer many veg choices.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...estaurants.cfm

If you want to break your journey on the #7 train, you can get off in Woodside and walk a block or two to a very good Thai restaurant, then get back on the train and continue to the stadium. There are many great ethnic places along that train line; take your pick.

http://www.sripraphairestaurant.com/
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

@HowardR - It is our first time, so that makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, my SO is kind of a food snob, so I think I'll have a heck of a time convincing him to eat there

@ekscrunchy - Thx so much for the link! So much great info, esp on Sichuan places in Flushing. Makes me wish when I lived in NYC I had actually ventured out of Manhattan
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM

Admittedly, it's not that cheap, but the food isn't that bad at the Open. And, there is at least one sit-down restaurant that's fairly decent.
Going to Open for the first time is a great experience...and part of that experience is walking around the whole place and soaking it all in. To just come for the 7 p.m. match in the Ashe Stadium is cheating yourself!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:25 AM

Nina: You're welcome. I lived here for many years before I discovered the edible wonders of Queens! Now we go quite often.

Please note that Little Pepper, which I discussed in the link above, has now moved to more appealing new digs in the College Point area, which is not convenient to public transportation. But you can find reliable Sichuan at Spicy and Tasty on Prince Street, as well as at a few other places just near the #7 stop in Flushing.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Ninasearching...just found your post...we're going to NYC that weekend also and want to buy US Open tickets for the same (Sunday night). I was thinking the same thing (early dinner) but I have also heard you should go early and walk around.

Did you buy your tickets directly or through an outside ticket broker? I found some decent tickets for 55.00 in the upper section.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM

I believe that $55 is the "regular" price (or close to it) for those tickets. I'd get them.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Piccola Venezia rest.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Even if you go out for dinner, definitely go into the grounds early. Once you are in you can go to any of the outer courts, the grandstand, and Armstrong stadium. There will most likely be plenty of matches from the day session still going on. The most ridiculous experience I had was seeing thousands of people waiting outside Ashe for a late-starting 4th round match. Meanwhile I walked into the grandstand and sat in the second row to watch the doubles quarterfinals for a good hour.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

tennislvr - We booked thru Ticketmaster during the AmEx sale week. I think that's about what we paid for lower promenade.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 06:07 AM

Anyone headed to the tennis matches this year might be interested in this column from today's NYTimes that includes advice on where to eat near the stadium:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/19/di...ef=todayspaper