Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for good kid-friendly restaurants in D.C. or close-in Bethesda.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:36 AM
Cindy

I live in Bethesda, MD, and I have adult guests coming in from out of town. I need to take them to decent restaurants, and I have grown quite weary of my old stand-bys: Louisiana Cafe, Rio Grande, Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen. <Heavy sigh.>

Can anyone suggest something a little different in Bethesda or the District? We eat most anything. Perhaps mid-priced, kid-tolerant (i.e. not too quiet and intimate), not pizza and not a chain?

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:27 AM
Emily

My teenage nephew loved the Old Glory Barbeque in Georgetown.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:57 AM
Judy

How about Houston's on Rockville Pike?

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 12:39 PM
greg

Different in Bethesda? Try the Mongolian Buffet place across the street from the old movie theatre (I forget name of street). Food is great and the kids will like the concept of inventing your own concoction and having the chef cook it for you.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 07:38 AM
lisa

One of my friends has a young son and whenever she wants a grown-up meal that is kid-friendly she swears by some Japanese steakhouse in Georgetown -- it's one of those places where they prepare the food in front of you doing fancy tricks and fast moves with the knives -- she said it amuses her son and the food is really good too -- sorry I can't remember the name but I think she said it's near Georgetown Park Mall?

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:57 AM
ilisa

I can't remember the name, but the Japanese restaurant Lisa is referring to is right in Georgetown Park. I was only there once, but remember it being very good.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 10:58 AM
RW

Filomena's in Georgetown (Wisc. b/w M and K) is awesome!

Olive's is new to DC (from Boston) and is excellent. Beware...long waits.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 11:04 AM
Joyce

Filomena's is not for kids. A nice place, but not for kids.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 12:04 PM
DC Lover

Olives is most definitely not for kids either. I ate there on Friday and the bill for myself and my date was $150.00.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Cindy

Thanks to you all. We tried out the Mongolian Grill, which I think is the place Greg referred to on Wisconsin Avenue. Funny, the kids sulked because it was something unfamiliar, but as soon as they tasted it, they were hooked. They liked picking out their own food combination (they went pretty light on the veggies -- surprise!) and watching it cook. So thanks for helping us expand our world just a bit.