Search

Looking for good and reasonable lodging in SF

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for good and reasonable lodging in SF

Hi,

I'm visiting SF for the weekend and need recommendations for a good hotel to stay in, which can accomodate 3 of us easily. Something located close enough to Fisherman's wharf or Union Square and offering free parking would be ideal

Thanks,
A.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:24 PM

The Wharf Inn has free parking. www.wharfinn.com

Lee Ann
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM

I think your best bet is one of the motels along Lombard in the Cow Hollow area which have free parking and cost in the neighborhood of $100 or less per night. Room for 3 is easy.

I'd suggest Cow Hollow Suites -- but they have several similar sister properties which you can link to from their website:
http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/

By the way, when we stay there, we tend to leave the car parked and take the frequent and easy bus which goes directly to Fisherman's Wharf, passes through North Beach and China Town, stops at Union Square, and ends up down by Market.

Cow Hollow is also an active and rather trendy area filled with shops, popular and fun bars, and lots of good restaurants.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Sorry, I said Cow Hollow Suites which is a wonderful small apartment complex adjacent to Cow Hollow Motor Inn, but of course, considerably more expensive than the Motor Inn which I gave you the right website for.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Kal

E'pick,
The Wharf Inn!!!

We keep forgetting that place. We've stayed there many ago.

Clean, inexpensive, good location especially if you get an "inside room" and if they do still have free parking, mo' bettah!

Old Aug 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Kal,

Mr. Pickle and I are planning a trip to San Francisco for our 25th anniversary in 2007, so I've been having fun looking at hotels and dreaming a bit.

I haven't stayed at the Wharf Inn, but it was recommended in the Frommer's guide and it looks fairly decent.

At this point, we're considering the Golden Gate Hotel, the Marina Inn, Cow Hollow Motor Inn, and the Pacific Heights Inn.

I still have at least a year before I have to make a decision, though...

Lee Ann
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Kal

'pick,

Ahhhh....a 2007 SF GTG countdown?!?!?

Why those places? Just curious. :-?
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Check out Pacific Heights Inn. Http://www.pacificheightsinn.com Very clean, good sized rooms, prices $79-$160 (the top price is for suites with kitchenettes) (Still a steal for SF!) Also they have free parking!!! comp breakfast and paper in the morning.

It's at the end of Union Street near Van Ness. (Not Union Square) You are very close to Ghiradelli and the Wharf, plus Union Street has a lot to offer with shopping, restaurants, cafes, etc.

A friend used to live in SF, and moved back East. When he came back to visit with his family, that is where they stayed, and I got a chance to see the hotel. It was great. Clean, safe, roomy! Anytime I have future friends/family come visit, that's where I'm going to recommend they stay. It's like a little hidden secret. (Although not for long if I keep telling people!!

Have fun!!!
Andiamo
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Kal,

I think a 2007 SF GTG would be A-OK!

We're considering those hotels because they fit Mr. Pickle's mental budget. I thought about Priceline, and we may still end up doing that when the time gets closer, but I think I'd prefer a smaller hotel. They're all close to public transportation as well. I would certainly welcome any other suggestions, though!

andiamo, I was looking at Pacific Heights Inn too - is it close to bus lines?

Lee Ann
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Columbus Motor Inn is one of the sister properties of Cow Hollow Inn and Cow Hollow Suites. It's close to Fisherman's Wharf but away from the tacky tourist shops. It's a quick walk to North Beach. The bus runs right in front of the hotel and the trolley car stop is one block over. There is free parking. We stayed there last December-had a two room suite which was good for three people. I think we paid around $175 for the two rooms plus parking was free. Cow Hollow suites seem very nice and are maybe in a more charming neighborhood but they are more expensive. You can't so wrong with this group of hotels.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:51 PM

Hi Lee Ann,
Regarding your question about if Pacific Heights Inn is near bus lines....yes. There is a bus down Van Ness that will take you in front of Ghiradelli or the Wharf (although you can walk there too), I know there are other buses that will take you the other direction as well. You may have to transfer buses to go to Union Square (downtown), if you check http://www.sfmuni.com it will provide the bus routes for you. It's very easy to get around SF, our transportation system is one of the best in the US.

Also, if you go by bus, be sure to get a transfer, they last for two hours and you can change buses as many times as you want in that time....even make a round trip! (Transfers are free, but you have to ask the driver for one) Be sure to have exact change, however the buses do take dollar bills.

The bus, (aka Muni) will take you anywhere in the City. In fact, I lived here for 9 years without a car relying on Muni for work, play, etc.

Hope this helps. Have fun!!
Andiamo
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 02:45 PM

Thanks, Andiamo, that is helpful!

I know better than to drive in San Francisco - I used to go there at least once a year when I was in high school and college. But this is part of a larger anniversary road trip, so we'll be driving into the city. Free parking is a huge plus.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM

Lee Ann, buy a MUNI map with colored routes, it will be the smartest thing to invest into.

Andiamo, now the transfers are mandatory, they now have a "proof of payment" system, although I've never seen anyone actually checking the passengers. And the drivers don't tear the tickets.

Starting tomorrow a single ride is $1.50, senior and youth $.50, passes the same $45/35/10.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:06 PM

Faina, how old would one have to be to be considered a senior by MUNI?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 07:21 PM

MUNI considers seniors to be over 65. Hooray. I'm not there yet, even though I'd like the discount.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:14 PM

65 and over!!! Don't rush it Patrick,it will come soon enough, LOL.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:55 AM

Thanks Patrick and LI. Not there yet either. It's nice to still be too young for !
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:56 AM

Huh? What happened to my "something?" I had typed (I thought) "It's nice to still be too young for something."
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM

Yea, I still get depressed when I go to one of the movie theatres that gives me a senior discount for over 55. Or worse yet, the ones that give a discount for over 60 or 65, I don't say a word and they sell me the senior anyway! Not that's depressing!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:04 AM
Kal

:-?
Hmmmmmmm...let's see....a Faina age joke or a Betsy age joke.....Hmmmmmm.

Anybody remember the first time you were called M'am or Sir? #39;(

'picks, Mental budget? If you do check out P'line or Hotwire, some of the "B"=Boutique hotels are nice and comfy. We've been getting the Galleria Park quite a bit on both sites, although Club Quaters has been coming up too.

Love the Galleria Park...very nice location. Villa Florence is nice too but sometimes the location gets "busy" and it's very hard to dbl park to drop off luggage and valet park with the Powell St cable car breathing down your neck.

We have also got the Tuscan Inn in the FishWharf area and the Harbor Court in the Embarcadero area. Both nice and cozy hotels....with free wine tasting in the afternoon. Never hit them because my tongue's usually purple by then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -