Looking for Friends in Chi-Town

Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Looking for Friends in Chi-Town

Anyone have any suggestions of ways to meet people in Chicago? Moved here a short time ago and love the city but don't know how to meet people my age. I'm a 50 year old girl (a young one at that) and want to meet some new people. So far I'm finding a young crowd everywhere I go so where do the "old" folks hang out?
Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM

I suggest joining something--a class, a volunteer organization, a congregation.
Jul 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Hi Annis,
If you like theater, join the 'Saints'- you pay $20/year for the membership, then get to volunteer-usher at local theaters all year long, all over the city. The men and women you meet there tend to be very nice and intelligent, and they tend to be in the 40-60 year-old range. An idea...
Jul 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Look into highlifeadventures.com. I'm 40-something and married, but every time I hear a commercial for them, I wish I were single so I could join! (It's for single people, but NOT a dating service). You choose which of their activities you want to participate in, everything from beach volleyball to skydiving.

The Saints is an excellent suggestion, ChgoGal. I belonged about 14 yrs ago, before I had kids. I don't think we paid anything back then. This was when Les Miz was originally in Chicago, my favorite musical, and I got to see it 8 times by ushering! At that time the majority of the volunteers were retirees, but that could have changed.
Jul 26th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Try the "community" section in:
craigslist.ORG

I became a volunteer with a downtown LOS ANGELES childrens program through there. I'm sure Chicago has similiar posts.
Jul 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Jen

I worked at a theater for awhile, and occasionally the Saints would show up to help usher-- they were all retirees, so probably older than you'd be looking for. This was just last year.
Jul 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM

A lot of old people go to those water aerobics classes...or try hotel bars.
Jul 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM

If you are a reader, check your local library branch to see if they have a book group/club.
Jul 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
JJ5

Yes, I was thinking along the lines just like that, as in our town the people your age meet at an "Arts Alive" program which has writing groups, music groups, entertainment group that puts on a yearly play etc. And the library too, with their 3 a day and different range library book clubs, is a good idea.

If you are Metropolitan Chicago they have these in the neighborhood libraries and club related info there as well.
Jul 29th, 2007, 04:26 AM

You should try this -- http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/il/chicago/

They have so many interest groups for the purpose of meeting new people in a city. There is a Chicago travel group that meets once a month at Goose Island. It's open to all ages. You can even start your own special interest group.

Jul 29th, 2007, 05:43 AM
HKP

Volunteer and/or take classes at any of the museums (zoos, etc.) -- interesting, fun, and many are in the same age-group (early retirees, empty-nesters, etc.) You need to meet people in a context of something you actually like doing so you'll have something to talk about and something in common.

While in Chicago, I joined the Shedd Aquarium as a member and took a number of behind-the-scenes tours/classes -- got to see the sea otters up close, etc.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM

Well, I am 29, but the best way to meet people closer to your 50-something is getting involved in something that interests you. Chicago is a very community/neighborhood active type of place. So, take a class, volunteer somewhere, there are many museum clubs, neighborhood associations that plan activities, charitable events, etc... Jazz clubs, the city sponsors many events,, etc... good luck!
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM

You may also want to check www.chicagovolunteer.net. Organizations seeking volunteers post openings and you can search by clientele served, neighborhood, focus issue or type of skill.