Looking for advice for Central Colorado vacation in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 23 year old daughter and I are planning a vacation to Colorado from May 27,2016 through the first week of June. We will be starting in Denver and heading out on I70 West to explore. We will base in Glenwood Springs for a few days and make Aspen a day trip. The last time we visited Colorado, we had trouble adjusting to the altitude so I would like to spend the nights at lower altitude locations. We have been to CO many times and have been all over Denver, Grand Lake, RMNP, Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Florrisant, and want to explore some different areas. We will be ending our trip in Salida so we can easily get to Canon City to raft in the Royal Gorge. All of our vacations end up packed to the brim with activity, this year we are wanting to take a more relaxing vacation and be able to leisurely explore. We want to see the beautiful mountains, take short hikes, ride every gondola we can find, eat, visit local breweries, etc. Would like to get input from the experts on here as to where to eat, what to do, must see scenic areas and short hikes. Thank you so much in advance for your input! Kristy
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Have you considered doing some fly fishing? It can be VERY relaxing AND very exciting! The Blue River along highway 9 going into Silverthorne is trophy water. Ironically there are HUGE fish to be caught in the tail waters of Dillon Dam right behind the big outlet center!! One problem in May might be that the water may be running too high and fast.
Staying in Frisco could be fun for access to a number of areas and some nice dining.
I have found that altitude sickness is a fickle thing--have had it in Denver and not at Vail. Hydration is a huge part of it, no matter where in Colorado.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Have you considered doing some fly fishing? It can be VERY relaxing AND very exciting! The Blue River along highway 9 going into Silverthorne is trophy water. Ironically there are HUGE fish to be caught in the tail waters of Dillon Dam right behind the big outlet center!! One problem in May might be that the water may be running too high and fast.
Staying in Frisco could be fun for access to a number of areas and some nice dining.
I have found that altitude sickness is a fickle thing--have had it in Denver and not at Vail. Hydration is a huge part of it, no matter where in Colorado.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Gretchen! We never even thought about fly fishing and will add that to our itinerary. We LOVE Colorado, there is so much to do and see.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 09:37 AM

You should review this posting

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...omment-9541301

since the questions are very similar.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 10:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, very similar since they are from the same person

uukristy: To find all your posts, click on your name/profile.
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Yes, same person, I am new to the site and am trying to make it work. This is a completely different posting-we have changed the areas we are visiting from SW Colorado to Central Colorado due to time restraints and really wanted expert info on the Central Colorado area.