Looking for a "wow" experience in Colorado

Jul 9th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a "wow" experience in Colorado

My friend lives in Crested Butte and we will be there at the end of July to celebrate her 40th birthday. I'm looking for a wow! experience for her- something not typical,off the beaten path. Any suggestions on how I can help her always remember her big day?
Thanks!
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM

IMHO, Colorado itself is a "wow" experience! I'm not sure exactly what you're going for here. A restaurant for a special meal, a spectacular hike, a day spa...? But I'm topping this in hopes that someone else will have some ideas for you.
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Rent a 4x4 and go to "ghosttown" of Marble. Marble stone for the Tomb of Unknown Solider and Lincoln Memorial among others was mined here. 8m from here is the Old Crystal Mill is on a 4x4 road (don't even think about taking your car on it) said to be most photographed place in Colorado.

The flowers in Yankee Boy Basin should be near or just past prime. Again 4x4 is best.
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks photodog that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!
Jul 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM

The area around Marble is gorgeous. You can hike up to the Yule Marble quarry--have done it several times--and the bright white marble sparkling in the sun in amazing. Or you can take a jeep tour. We did that a few years ago and enjoyed it. Check out http://www.marblecolorado.org/businesses.htm for the phone number. And it looks like he'll also take you to Crystal City. As I remember the road from Marble to Crystal, unless you are experienced at 4-wheeling, it may be somewhat frightening to attempt. See www.marblecolorado.org/ for general information about the area. You could also stop in Redstone on the way there or back. http://www.redstoneinn.com/