Looking for a weekend getaway...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2003, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for sometime this summer for just myself, no son or husband. Okay, here's the requirements: Somewhere in New England, not TOO expensive, fairly quiet; I'm not looking for a party town. I'd welcome names of towns or specific places to stay...I would prefer a B&B. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

I just reread this and I'm realizing it sounds incredibly broad in scope, but, I'm looking for something fresh. So have at it and give me your ideas, any and all!
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:25 AM
Lola

Camden Maine
Mt Dessert Island Maine
*both are probably not that quiet, considering it is summer/high season*
Auberge Hatley in

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:24 AM

Puddin, what do you want to do when you get there? Sleep & eat? Swim? Shop/antique? Sightsee? Hike? Museum?

Williamstown has summer theater & some wonderful museums & is near Tanglewood for music. Lenox, Mass. has nice shops & good restaurants. Maybe you should have a look at Berkshires.org for ideas.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie, I would like to eat and sleep, read, sightsee a little and shop. This will be a weekend away from my husband and 3 yr old and I just want to relax, basically. But I would like to do it somewhere where I haven't been before. I never have been to Tanglewood, and I love a good concert...esp classical music....hmmmmmm.....
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:32 AM
gc

You want to relax? How about the Mad River Valley in VT.

Waitsfield, Warren, then north to Stowe features world class dining, unique shopping, beautiful scenery, hiking, mountain biking, and a 100 to 1 cow to car ratio...8^)
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 01:23 PM

I second the vote for Stowe Vermont. One of my favorite places. There are many B&Bs there. I stayed at the Fitch Hill Inn, which is actually in Hyde Park. Nice place, but you'd probably want to stay someplace closer to town.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 09:52 PM

Castine Maine, on Penobscot Bay. Stay and eat at the Castine Inn (a b&b with great pancakes). Have a sandwich and a bowl of soup at Bah's Bakehouse. Walk around the town. Visit Four Flags. Very quiet and peaceful.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 11:24 PM

Another vote for Stowe. Great dining, accomodations to suit any need and beautiful scenery, including that classic New England town appearance.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:31 AM
gc

I'm thinking south of Stowe, in the towns of Waitsfield and Warren, near the Mad River and Sugarbush ski areas.

Stowe is lovely but quite commercial. The more southern towns are just a little more laid back.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:19 AM

Puddin, another thought is Newport, RI. Tour the mansions. Have a shop. On another thread PamSF recommends

"We stayed at the Francis Malbone which I think is one of the nicest B&Bs I've ever stayed in. Try dinner at Scales & Shells on Thames. Best seafood in Newport IMO."

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:29 AM

I would second Newport, RI....the mansion tours are great as is the Cliff Walk right on the water....or you can just walk around the town. Very nice and picturesque. The tennis Hall of Fame is also here if you're into that. There are many, many B&Bs....we stayed at the Yankee Peddler Inn.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:37 AM

The Charlotte Inn in Martha's Vineyard would be perfect. Nice porch and garden areas to read in. You are right in town if you want to shop or eat. You are a block from the water if you want to go have a drink and watch the boats come in. I loved it there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:41 AM

Newport may be too much of a party town. Its fine during the day but it can get pretty reved up at night (for New England).

How about Manchester Vermont? Its quiet, has nice restaurants, shopping, you can tour Hildene which was the summer home of Abe Lincoln's son. I believe they have summer concerts there. I've stayed at the Equinox which has a spa and nice dining facilities. Others may be able to recommend smaller inns and B&Bs.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:54 AM

I'd go to Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires and never get out of the hot tub.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:40 AM

Newport Rhode Island
I highly recommend a B&B , The Adele Turner Inn.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Hey guys,
thanks so much for the suggestions! I have been to Newport before many times but this fact does not necessarily rule out the possibility of going there again. Everyone is right about the mansions, the Cliff Walk, the seafood, etc. I think I would feel more comfortable with some place where the sidewalks rolled up a little earlier...oh well, maybe I could find a quiet B&B on an out of the way street, not in the middle of town....I do love Newport...Vermont is also another possibility....thanks for your ideas, keep 'em coming!! Maybe something will strike me like a bolt of lightening...