Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Looking for a neat gift shop in Seward, AK. Please recommend!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for some authentic Alaskan gifts and I am wondering if anyone had a particularly favorable experience with any certain gift shop in Seward?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:11 PM

007, there are several gift shops in Seward, but most feature souveniers rather than genuine Alaskana.

Look for the "Made in Alaska" seal.

If you can make it to Anchorage, you'll have much more selection of genuine gifts such as baleen, ivory, jade, gold, furs, qiviut.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:40 PM

Ahh, I have the answer for you!

The store is called Discover Alaska on 4th Avenue. Their top selling items are scrimshaw ivory-handmade knives, handmade totem poles, Eskimo dolls, jewelry made from 30,000 year old Wooly Mammoth ivory, wolf skulls and claws, antler crafts and Xmas ornaments.

The reason I know so much about it is that my sister, Mindy, and brother in law, Carl, are the owners. My sister makes a lot of the crafts and they are very high quality. All these things are also Made In Alaska!

They only carry things made in the USA - no selling out for the cheaper products from China, etc.

I hope you can stop by there - I'm sure you'll find lots of good things and nice people too!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Quinty,

Do Mindy and Carl have a web site? I'd like to preview their shop and maybe list them on my travel pages...Especially if they use the Made In Alaska seal.

You can email me at [email protected] or, post your email or their web site.... whatever works.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Oh yes, the gift shops in Seward are mostly the touristy souvenier stuff. Definitely go to Anchorage!

The Discover Alaska is a very good shop with unique gifts. There are bunches of good shops all over downtown Anchorage. One of my favorites was the "Cabin Fever" store on 3rd by the government building.

Do look for the Made in Alaska seal.
The most uniquely Alaskan gift would probably be those ulu knife and bowl sets. There's a store at the Fifth Avenue mall that sells bunches of them.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:02 AM

Do they sell soapstone sculptures in Alaska? We bought two several years ago at the Worlds Fair in NYC... While in Niagra
Falls(Canadian side) we bought a straw sculpture of two native fishermen which we still have...somewhere..
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Dear akvisnet,
RE: Discover Alaska

Carl and Mindy don't have a website for their store yet - but Carl is working on it. In fact he mentioned it yesterday in an e-mail.
They used to just be a seasonal shop (living part in Seward and in Fairbanks) but now they are moving to Seward so I think they're going to get it all up and running soon.

I will keep your e-mail address and send you the link when it's completed.

You will be pleased with their selection, very nice things indeed! Thanks for the interest!

Quinty
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:14 AM

In Seward I found note cards of Aurora Borealis photographs by Todd Salat. On the back of the cards is a story of where and when he took the photograph. In the same shop there were some reasonably priced prints by several artists. I bought my ulu in Skagway at the Miners Cache. The handle is made from an antler. It's a wonderful tool to use and you will find ulus in all price ranges. Cooks on your gift list might like the Alaska WildBerry Guide and Cookbook. Some of the recipes have the name of the contributing cook. Tips on freezing berries includes hanging bags outdoors under the roof eaves. The shop across from the marina and restaurant had wonderful prints and other art work. Sorry, I can't remember the name but Seeward is small, you'll have time to look in all the shops.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 06:08 PM

Quinty,

If they've not committed to a web designer, I might be able to help them out there too.... (Why I wanted to take this out of the travel forum to email).

Soapstone: Yes! Lots of it!

Most Unique Alaskan gift? Oosik.