Longing for Prince Edward Island, Canada???

Sep 6th, 1997, 08:44 AM
Vanessa

Longing for Prince Edward Island, Canada???

Ever since I saw Anne of Green Gables, I've longed to visit Prince Edward Island. Any comments / suggestions on a PEI visit? What to do, see, where to stay? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 10th, 1997, 07:55 AM
Cynthia

I visited PEI a few years ago and loved it. The best way to experience the island is to meet the people. We camped in August and spent a week driving around visiting the national parks, craft stores, Charlottetown, and fishing docks. The next time we go we plan on renting a cottage - they're quite affordable. The island is small, so you could probably bike it easily if that's something you like to do. They have a play on every summer about Anne of Green Gables, and you can visit LM Montgomery's home (it was recently damaged by fire, but apparently has been repaired). You can go sailing in the harbour - when we went we had a seal follow us for a while! And one thing you must do is go to a church supper - you pay for a lobster, then have all you can eat mussels, salad, etc. Fabulous! Hope this helps - have fun!

Oct 6th, 1997, 07:19 PM
Anne

If you feel in love with Anne of Green Gables, then you will not be disappointed in Prince Edward Island! It is all the beauty and tranquillity that Anne described. Plan your trip for the summer preferrably somewhere between the middle of July and the middle of August. You should be guaranteed the best weather. I don't know where you are from but if you are flying then plan to rent a car in order to see the Island. You must visit the Green Gables House and you can even take a walk through the Haunted Woods. In the evening Anne accompanies the guests on a walk through the woods but bring bug repellent! There are many delightful bed & breakfasts all over the Island. I agree with the other response, the Anne of Green Gables play is a must!! Charlottetown is the home of the Confederation of Canada so it has some interesting Historic Sites. It also has a lovely harbor. The beaches are the best along the Atlantic coast. I would recommend you go to Basin Head Beach not frequented much by tourists but the best on the Island. It is known for its singing sands. PEI Tourism has a web site, I will send you a postcard and you will then be able to visit the site. By the way, I moved to PEI in 1983 and love it here!

Oct 7th, 1997, 02:30 PM
Scott S.

I visited PEI in early October a few years ago and loved it! I've never read Anne of Green Gables or seen the movie, but the island is fabulous. I was there before the bridge was built (is it open yet?), and I loved the ferry ride from the coast. I camped there in a terrific park; the Canadian parks are much better than the US ones, at least as far as my limited experience goes.

Oct 13th, 1997, 07:24 PM
David avalon

I spent one week in Charlottetown, PEI, and stayed
at the Prince Edward hotel on Queen st. Rented a
a compact car and toured the North and East areas of
the island. Check out the cottage accommodations
and the smaller heritage hotels, located in 18th
century buildings in Charlottetown. The Prince Edward is claustrophobic and you can't open the
windows, and the elevator takes forever. PEI in
August or Sept is the best for minimal tourists,
deserted highways, and accessibility of attractions.
The weather can be mid 20's and stable. If you love
the countryside check out the East side of the island first; a cornucopia of farmland, woods,
rolling hills, gently flowing rivers, and quaint
villages. Make a point of going to Panmure island Provincial Park. Walk the ochre beaches and visit the old lighthouse. This little island still retains
a 1940's feel about it. Never caught up with the 90's - THANK GOD !

Oct 14th, 1997, 06:38 PM
Tim Camire

We went in late June,1997. The Weather was a bit
cool somedays-but fine. By all means, STAY IN
CAVENDISH, where several "Anne" attractions reside.
You'll find many spots realating to "Anne of Green
Gables" and it's author there. We stayed at the Anne
Shirley Motel for $39 on June 23- the price doubled
two days later-so call around. ALSO, if you are an
"Anne" fan please DO NOT MISS the Confederation of
the Arts (Charlottetown) musical of "Anne of Green
Gables"-it was, without a doubt, the highlight of
our trip! Enjoy-and feel free to write us with other
questions. Opening night this year was 6/24.