Longboat Key, or Clearwater Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been to clearwater Florida and love the beach and hustle and bustle, but have just heard Longboat key is comparable to Hawaii! We have 2 kids 1 & 6. Anybody have an opinion, also would like to be right on the beach. suggestions for at either location? thanx
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:24 AM
OliveOyl

Gosh colecade...in what respect is it comparable to HI?!

The beach at LBK is comparable to Clearwater's, water usually a bit bluer/tropical, beach not quite as wide but for some that is a plus. The calmer water certainly would be a plus for you with 1 and 6 year olds. Away from the beach it's well manicured as opposed to CWB, and far more upscale, but as far as I can see, the similarities end there. It is a beautiful spot to vacation, but not much like HI, IMO, and I'd hate for you to be disappointed....the only reason I'm mentioning this.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:32 AM
LN

Longboat Key is a delightful beach but it's really not like Hawaii. My memory has Hawaii having more rocky beaches than sand and Longboat Key AND the barrier islands bordering it all have a unique talcum powder like sand that is not hot on your feet in mid summer.

As for beach suggestions there are many great condos like The Diplomat, Veranda Beach, Longboat Key Club, Turtle crawl Inn as well as some hotel/motels like Hilton, Silver Sands. It could help to do a search on Longboat Key as well as VRBO.com and you should find many, many great places.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Blacktie

Having just been in Maui, and headed back later this summer, I can assure you that the Maui beaches are bot better than the beaches west of Tampa. They are various colors, and tend to be of a rougher texture. The Gulf is as nice as the Maui waters, with the one exception of some very clear areas where you can sorkle over the reefs. FL beaches along the Gulf are for the most part lovely!!!! And so is Maui, but they are different.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Blacktie

... whoops, "bot" is "not", my typing is not so hot.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:10 AM
LN

I do SOOO agree with your comparison of gulf beaches to Hawaiian beaches!!!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Hmmmm, Clearwater Beach is very family friendly..including the eateries! Lotsa kids everywhere.
Long Boat Key is more "resort style" adults, with nicer restaurants. Have taken my family to both, just depends on your mood! Both have great beaches!