Long weekend in Chicago with 9 year old son

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my 9 year old son to Chicago in a few weeks. We will be staying three nights. My son is hard to impress-- any advice on some more unusual touristy things to do? Also any advice on good quality restaurants? My son eats most anything and is well behaved.

Thanks in advance.
Jeanne
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM

It's not exactly unusual, but the Museum of Science and Industy is a wonderful place.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM

What kinds of things is he into?
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM

Jeanne, hard to impress, eh?

Take him for lunch to the Signature Room on the 95th Floor of the John Hancock Center.

Agree with the Museum of Science and Industry - especially recommend that you let him see the U505 WWII German Submarine. It's the real deal. Pay the extra $5 pp for boarding it. (You have to go early - recommend as soon as it opens because this is a BIG museum.) There is also a new exhibit about Star Wars opening up in early October, I think.

Sue at the Field Museum is the most complete T-rex skeleton in the world. Sue's real head is on the second floor, (it is too heavy for the skeleton to hold it up.)

If the Cubs keep playing the way they are, recommend that you take a ride on the Red Line El (Elevated) train to Wrigley Field. If they are at home, try to get tickets. If they are away on a weekend, there are tours of historic Wrigley Field on certain dates. They do only allow a certain number of people on the tours and they do sell out at times.

I'm not sure at what time you are coming but the Tallship Windy has pirate dinner cruises. If they are still operating when you are visiting, a nice option.

How about a Segway tour? If not, how about a bike tour (such as Bobby's Bike Hike). You'll need to check the websites to see if and when they can be done when you are here.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is free everyday. And, if you go to the Zoo, Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder is only 2 blocks west on N. Clark Street. If you wish, you could tell your son it is situated right across the street from where the St. Valentine's Day Massacre occurred and historians believe the building where Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder is located was used as the look-out.

Millennium Park. And tell your son that all of the ground under the park - and, in fact, all of Grant Park is actually on landfill from debris of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.

As you didn't indicate your dates, I'll mention this as well. The Chicago International Children's Film Festival will be occurring in later October. Perhaps it will jive with your schedule.

Hope these suggestions might help a bit!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM

A 9 year old boy being impressed with the Signature Room...too funny!
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

We will be going in mid September. I looked into the segway tour but you have to be at least 12.

He does love baseball but the cubs are out of town that weekend. The tours are already booked for that weekend as well.

I think he will like the museum of science so we will definitely do that.

Is the children's museum appropriate for his age or is it for younger children?

Other activities?

Restaurant suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:21 AM

hills27, don't get your hilarity...You don't think a 9 yr. old will be impressed with the view from the Signature Room? After all, that's the reason to go, isn't it?
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM

I recently went to the Chicago Historical Society musuem and it was great. Very interactive and fun. They have a special kids' section but I think the main museum is pretty interesting for kids too. Don't forget to get him a Chicago dog. They have a mock-up of one at the museum.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
At age 10, our daughter was very non-plussed by the children's museum. The same 10 YO thought the Chicago Historical Society was going to be a big snooze but ended up loving it.

Garrett popcorn was also a huge hit.

I think anyone would be impressed with the view from top of the Hancock building. I'm not sure I'd take a 9 year old to the Signature Room. I think the Observatory would be much more interesting to a kid.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:05 AM

There is an excellent children's theater scene in Chicago. You didn't give your exact dates, but if you check chicagoplays.com you can look up what's on stage. metromix.com and chireader.com have reviews (hint - swordfights are big hits with that age!)

There are several boat cruises that attract kids - search for Seadog or Tall Ship Windy to see if they are still sailing.

Your son is on the borderline, age-wise, for the Children's Museum. If you are here on a Thursday night,you could check it out for a short time - Thursday is their free night. Navy Pier is touristy, but the Ferris Wheel and open space is a sure thing for kids. Their IMAX theater is another idea fro evenings. Finally, the Lincoln Park Zoo and Notebaert Nature Museum make a good combination for a day's visit; Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder or Frances' Diner are nearby and kid-friendly.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM

The Shedd Aquarium would be great for a 9 year old. Not only do they have fish, but lizards, sharks, all kinds of stuff. And it's right on the lake front.

I'm not a huge fan of Navy Pier in general, but they do have an IMAX theatre there, and a huge ferris wheel, which is pretty neat. Also on the lake front.

As far as restaurants with a 9 year old...

Quartino's would be good. It's Italian served tapas style. Small portions so you can try different things. Just a warning, it's a bit chaotic, fast paced in the restaurant.

Boston Blackie's is a great burger place, but Portillo's is my personal favorite. It's like upscale fast food. Burgers, ribs, salads, pasta. It's wonderful.

I'm sure he would like a place like Flat Top Grill. You choose your own items at a stir fry bar, and then the stir fry it up right there for you. Not awesome food, but it's decent and fun.

There are a few Brazilian steak house, that are all you can eat. They bring these huge carts of meat, and you choose what you want. It's somewhat entertaining to watch. They also have great salad bars usually. Fogo de Chao, and Sal and Carvao are two that I am familiar with.

Here are a few chicago entertainment websites, which would probably help you along as well.
www.chireader.com

Good luck!
www.metromix.com
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:13 AM
JJ5

My 9 year old grandson loves ESPN zone.

Kids all seem to like the food court in Water Tower. Don't let the term food court fool you.

Mus.of Sc.& Ind. is a bus ride away- and don't short yourself time. They have a new and excellent interactive and he might love it. You will too. YOU are the CSI and have to determine certain facts, was it an accident etc? You only get 1 of three different scenarios per visit and it is awesome. Get your entry to this for sure.

My 4 to 12 year olds love the Shedd. There are several touch/ hands on and much more than the normal aquarium. That's not even a bus ride either. You could combine with the Field, but that would be an entire day if you did both.

A walk onto the beach and also in Millenium Park area with sprinkler soaking, might be appreciated as well.

There are so many restaurants that you would need to peruse $$, locations and much else yourself. www.metromix.com for a start.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:19 AM
JJ5

Oh we posted at the same time.

Yes, Shedd is the one out of all of them that my kids and grandkids like the best.

If you go, don't fail to notice the species designations on the walls- done in ways that could not be replicated in 2007 for any amount of money. Much of that kind of stonework and art- combination of skills- requires years and years of practice and apprenticeship. There are only a handful of people in the world that can still accomplish it.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:20 AM

Great ideas JJ5. ESPN Zone and Water Tower Food Court would be great.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM

When our kids were younger, we used to take them to the Art Institute on Saturday morning for FREE art classes. They used to have a theme, say sailboats or gardens, take the kids on a brief gallery walk, then let them loose in the basement classroom where they could make art work (paintings, mobiles, etc.). We usually followed up with lunch in the area. They are some of the fondest memories of childhood for our children. See the link below to Family Programs at the Art Institute. http://www.artic.edu/aic/calendar/ev...gramCategory=5
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

The Museum of Science and Industry sounds great-- it has been YEARS since I have been there and it sounds improved. Someone suggested renting a bicycle-- does anyone know if there will be places to do this? I'll check out the theatre as well and see what is playing.

No one mentioned Sears Tower (vs Hancock)-- is it still open to tourists?

I also heard that there is somewhere you can go to record your own record?? does anyone know anything about this?

Keep the suggestions pouring in. Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM

My 10 year old granddaughter loved the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, Lincoln Park Zoo, American Girl Store and the Navy Pier - what kid doesn't love rides As far as restaurants, the biggest hit with her was Ed Debevics(sp). She loved those crazy waiters/waitresses!!
Have a great time whatever you do!
Pam
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 09:04 AM

The Notebaert Nature Museum is also great. www.naturemuseum.org. It's in Lincoln Park in a lovely new building. The zoo in Lincoln Park too, expecially the new primate house. Good family restaurants near there are Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder or Walkers Pancake House.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Gosh, people, I'm throwing out my "pearls of wisdom" here and no one is catching!

Honestly, though, I mentioned having lunch at the Signature Room because they have the buffet Monday-Saturday for only $10 for children (under 12), $18 for adults - and the Children's Menu has several items on it, each for $8. So if get a cheeseburger (and included extras) and drink for your son - you'll be paying approximately the same as going up to the Observatory.

You can rent bikes at Navy Pier, Millennium Park, North Avenue Beach or Foster Avenue Beach (the last wouldn't be of interest to you, though). However, do look at a guided bike tour, especially if you are coming on a weekend.

IMHO, the Children's Museum and, most likely, the Nature Museum might be not the most interesting to him as I feel they are geared for younger kids.

If he loves baseball, you could go to Harry Caray's for lunch. If he loves football, you could go to Mike Ditka's for dinner. Da Coach is often there at his restaurant in the evening, greeting customers, by the way.

By any chance are you coming into Chicago the weekend of September 15 & 16? They are having the Celtic Fest in Grant Park. Although you might not want to stay for an extended time, if you are walking through that area, definitely take a little time to see what's going on.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Chicago is famous for its double-crust pizza. And I'm sorry but that "Old Chicago" chain you can find in other cities is a poor imitation.

There were several good independents and local chains (my fave was Giordano's), but it has been years since I lived there so maybe a current resident could help you out more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -