Long weekend in Beantown

Search

Long weekend in Beantown

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Homer

Long weekend in Beantown

Hey Hey Hey Folks - I need some help.
Beantown is on the agenda, any thoughts?
I would like to visit the place on a long weekend but am concerned about the $$$.
Hotels under $80 a night? Possible to rent a car for $20 a day?
there are incredible fares from my locale but I doubt it would be worth the trip if I merely give my life savings to the hoteliers rather than the airlines.
Help me with some thoughts.
I'd like to jump to Salem for a day - I hear I can take public transport?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:28 AM
sandy

I would not recommend having a car in Boston- don't need it. Parking can be difficult and expensive. Lose the car.

Yes, you can get to Salem by train. It is the MBTA commuter rail out of North Station. The MBTA is the transit system and they can provide you with good maps and schedules.

Hotel under 80 a night would be hard but you never know....

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Homer

Ok, I gotcha Sue. Thanks for your advice, but lets suppose I want to high-tail it out of beantown for a couple days, possible to get a car for under $20 per day?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Ellen

Please, please stop saying "Beantown."

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Homer

Why Ellen? Not into the musical fruit?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Ellen

It's just something that NOBODY here ever says, like calling San Francisco "Frisco."

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Tedt

It's a seasonal thing, and I'm not sure when it resumes, but if available, don't miss the amphibious "duck tour" of Boston. It's alot of fun. I'm sure someone can provide more info.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:15 PM
xxx

Duck tours have resumed! don't bother renting a car unless you want to pay $25-30/day to park.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
bm

Others on this board have posted that they've recieved good hotel rates in Boston via Priceline.
I second and third, and fourth-you DO NOT need a car in Boston. It will probably cost you more/day to park than it actually costs to rent the car for a day. Enterprise has local (meaning offices away from the airport) offices so I'd suggest calling one of them or looking up their website to get an idea regarding per day fees.
The MBTA Commuter rail is the way to Salem. In the summer, I believe there is also a ferry-not sure who operates it though. www.mbta.com

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Maxie

Homer, you should lose the "Beantown" along with the Hey Hey Hey Folks if you want some useful advice.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Homer

Maxie and Bart, perhaps you both have issues you need to take up with your shrink. I appreciate the helpful advice given by others.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:29 PM
xxxxxxxxxx

You don't need acar for your whole trip if you want to rent for a day or 2 do so but remember the parking.
We got a good rate at the Sonesta (over the bridge in Cambridge)
There is a ferry from Rowes Wharf ( i think) to both Salem & Provincetown. You may want to do a day trip to each area.
Have fun & be nice to the Locals