new york city hotels

Apr 6th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Becky

new york city hotels

My family of four want to visit NYC in June.I have been debating on 2 hotels.One is listed in Fodors, the other is not.I would like opinions if you have any on the Beacon Hotel.The other hotel is Excelsior,which has decent reviews on Fodors rants/raves page.Has anyone used the Bigapplegreeters and have opinions about that too? Thanks

Apr 6th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Statia

Becky:

Can't comment on the hotels, but I just saw another thread where someone mentioned Big Apple Greeters and seemed pleased with them.

Maybe you can find the thread on a search. If I see it, I'll top it for ya. I know that NYC was in the thread title.

Apr 6th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Statia

Becky:

I found the thread mentioning Big Apple Greeters. It's "A Week in New York City." I topped it for ya.

Apr 6th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Nina

Becky ....Look under Hotel Beacon, 2130 Broadway, (not Beacon Hotel) on Fodor's Hotel Rants and Raves. There are 12 recommendations and the posters give it a 4.3 average.

A friend of our's has stayed there numerous times, and so on his recommendation, we will be staying there next month for almost two weeks.

The rooms are very large and they all have full kitchenettes. It is across the street from the well known Fairway Market and Zabar's is a few blocks away.

We are looking forward to staying there as it looks like a fine choice, excellent location, all at a reasonable rate.

Apr 6th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Statia

Nina:

What's the nearest cross street to that hotel? It sounds like something I might want to look into, as well. Depending on where it's at.

Apr 6th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Statia

Nina:

I found it....too far away from where I usually need to be. Sounds like a great deal, though.

Apr 6th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Nina

Becky & Statia . . . Sorry, I should have said that the Beacon is at 75th and Broadway I guess I gave the complete address because I thought that the listing in the Rants and Raves would give the full address, so Becky would know it was the same Beacon that she was referring to. Excuses, excuses, excuses ;-)

I'll post a trip report on the hotel when I return in June, along with restaurants etc..

Apr 7th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Statia

Ok, Nina. Thanks. We'll look forward to it. I'm on my way there this morning, as well.

Apr 7th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Becky

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about the Hotel Beacon. I did find the reviews, and they sounded very positive.Thanks again!

Apr 7th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Alan

Hi, Becky! Looks like you have your hotel problem all worked out. Now, about Big Apple Greeters. I couldn't find the post that Statia "topped" for you, so in case you couldn't either, here's my opinion: we had a family visit to New York last December and contacted Big Apple Greeters on their website before we left Australia. We were given the option of choosing what we wnated to see, but as we didn't really know, we left it to the greeter. We didn't hear anything back before we left, so we thought that the email had ended up in cyberspace neverland. However, the day we arrived we got an eager phone call from a lovely Brooklyn lady named Ellen.... she met us bright and early the next morning, and asked us if we'd like to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and see a bit of her home town. This is something we never would have thought of, so we were delighted. Even better, we were delighted with Ellen... she was everything good about the people of New York all wrapped up in one package. We spent half a day with her, and I don't think anything that happened to us clear acroos the USA in the next 4 1/2 weeks topped those hours with her. I could not have been happier with the idea of this service (I'd like to see one like it get up and running here in Sydney!) and our luck in getting such a great greeter. I really hope you try it for yourself.

Apr 8th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Nina

Alan, thank you so much for your lovely post on Big Apple Greeters. So many times people request information from this site, use it, and that's the last you hear of them. It is so nice when someone posts a follow up or a trip report, with both good and bad findings.

I have not as yet been to Oz, but from what I hear from my many friends who have, your locals are always friendly and more than willing to help a visitor. I'm sure Ellen enjoyed her time with you as much as you enjoyed your time with her.

Apr 9th, 2002, 09:17 AM
cher

Don't know about the hotels but I definitely recommend the Big Apple Greeters especially if you have a specific area you want to see. I took my daughter for her birthday and we had a greeter meet us at our hotel and we took a subway to the Village then walked several neighborhoods including lunch in Little Italy. The guide was a native and knew his stuff! Loved the experience.

Apr 9th, 2002, 09:29 AM
xx

nina, had to laugh at your "full kitchenette" What is that?

Apr 9th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Becky

Alan,thanks for the tip on the Bigapplegreeters. I havent decided yet what to do. I will have 2 teens that wont be thrilled with museums and I'm sure there would be someone that could show them some sites that they would find "cool"!
Has anyone used the greyline bus tours and have an opinion? A friend told me they were worth the money.Thanks

Search this Thread