long weekend..

Jan 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

long weekend..

Hello all-
I am planning a surprise long weekend away for my boyfriend and myself for sometime in mid feb to mid march.

A little about us: We are mid 20's, love to travel, love food/wine, museums, anything outdoors, shopping...(there really isn't much we don't like!) I live in San Francisco, he currently lives in Ireland... (he will be visiting sometime in the above time frame)

I would love some suggestions for romantic getaways in California, preferably no further away than 4 hrs by car (from SF)
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM

rayanne, what is your budget? My son (also mid-20s) recently went to the Mendocino area with his girlfriend and her family (2 20-something couples and a late 40s couple). They stayed at the Albion River Inn and loved it. Views of the ocean, fireplaces in the cottages, Mendocino nearby, etc.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM

There are just tons of options. Yes, Mendocino and then the northern Redwoods would be good. But we do need your budget.
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Hmm... Hadn't really thought about a budget... I guess I am going for something mid ranged (up to 200/night?) We are trying to do a lot of these little trips (when he visits SF, and also when I go visit Ireland) so keeping it on the lower end makes it so we can do it more often
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Have you been to Healdsburg? A tour of the wine country might be an interesting mini vacation. Sonoma over Napa. Check out www.sonomacountyvacations.com for romantic vacation rentals rather than hotel stays. Probably cheaper and more fun.
Healdsburg is only 1 1/2 hrs N. of SF. Plenty of shopping, wine tasting and great restaurants up here.
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions... I actually grew up in Windsor, so we went to Healdsburg all the time. It is still funny to me that it is "posh" to go there
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM

What about Carmel? It's downright dreamy, 2.5 hours from SF, and you can see museums, eat great food, take in amazing view of the Pacific!

ckc
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Oh, and not to mention the drive to Carmel down Hwy 1 is incredible.

ckc
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

I love the Carmel idea! i've always wanted to go there! Thank you for reminding me!
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM

at one point dh and I were going to do a Northern California trip and go to Mendocino area - I think it sounded wonderful.