COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Long time posters

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:24 AM
SAB
Original Poster

Long time posters

How many of you have just given up on responding to overbroad, general questions, such as where should I eat in California, or responding to questions that appear almost daily, such as where should I stay in [fill in blank for popular location]? A recent thread in which a poster became somewhat indignant about the suggestion that he/she do a search and then repost a more specific question, made me realize that I have basically given up responding to such general questions and confirmed that it was a good decision. I wonder how many people have done the same thing, and think it is sad that posters with a lot to share probably aren't responding to people who probably need such info the most.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Yup, I now skip right over a lot of threads that I once would have replied to. These include vague titles with no geographic hints (they're usually about Alaska anyway) and those that do specify a location but sound vague like "What should I do in California". Now that I think of it, it's been at least a year since I replied to a query about hotels in NYC or Washington DC.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Absolutely.

Posts such as "where to eat in California," "best pool in Las Vegas," and "most beautiful place you have ever stood," are (IMO) not worth responding to.

I also seldom bother with questions that can be answered by www.maps.yahoo.com or www.weather.com.

I am also mystified by those who want an explanation of how to do in a week a trip that requires two weeks.

However, the most frustrating posts are the ones that complain about advice that was given to them without knowledge of facts they add later, such as they are traveling with an elderly relative who can't walk or that their hotel budget is $75 per night.

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I don't respond much on Fodors because I just don't travel much. However, I do live in a tourist city and post often to the forums on Tripadvisor.

But I am getting tired of those general questions and I have stopped answering. The questions start like this: "We are coming to ________for ___days. What is there to do?

I want to ask why on earth did they plan their vacation without knowing what we have to offer.

And then, they want a CLEAN place. I want just one person to say "We want a dirty place."
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:45 AM

I am amazed how many posters don't first do a search on the locations they want to visit! There are so many threads already posted regarding "best restaurant in Chicago, best hotel in LA, best beach in Maui," etc... that there is no need to post a new one.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I don't understand why some posters get so upset when a question isn't phrased they way they would like, or when they accuse people of asking questions without doing proper research.

The search function on this forum isn't really intuitive, and often the results are kind of odd if one hasn't phrased the search in just the right manner. This can lead to the appearance of little research, when it was, in reality, just a poor choice of search words.

I don't really care how people phrase their questions and I don't automatically assume they haven't researched. If I don't feel like responding, I don't - and I don't find it necessary to announce that I'm not responding.

True, some people are lazy, but I don't want to dash someone's enthusiasm or excitement over an upcoming adventure just because they haven't asked for info in a way I deem "appropriate".

IMHO this is a place where we try to help one another. With that in mind, I'll continue to look at vague posts, offer advice when I feel like it, and not sweat it when I don't. >-
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Thanks SAB, I thought it was just me, lol.

I am so tired of SF hotel/restaurant questions. How to get to Rome from the airport, how to pay for things in Europe, will it be hot in Italy during August, how to get from the Marco Polo airport to my hotel in Venice, etc.

I assume that newcomers are not aware that these questions have been asked weekly or daily. I assume that due to Fodor's popularity they just post here first without doing any research on their own.

In that I have been on overload these last weeks due to some problems I have found I just don't really have the energy or the interest to keep posting the same info time after time. Again, I thought it was just me, but perhaps not. Thanks for this thread.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I felt really guilty for feeling the same way. But it's true! there have been so many posts on "Which island?" and then there's the vaguest of the vague in titles: "Help please!"

I've been doing a search for them and then posting references to the related threads. I know, this is like doing your kids' homework for them, but .....

For the people who get huffy about being told to do a search or repost a specific question, that's just plain rude! (Which thread was that?)
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM

The people that ask, "what should I do?" are nothing but lazy, so I try to restrain myself and not answer them. My answer would be, of course, "read a book you knucklehead!"
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM

GREAT thread, SAB! I used to read threads with no responses to see if I could help in some way. Well, I've tried to stop that . . . not only does the person posting take offense to receiving search instructions, or web links, but other posters often come along because your response topped the thread and slam you for the advice you provided or didn't provide. It's tough to even try to be nice sometimes!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Hey, you could be the same as a certain poster, Google up the answers, add lots of smileys and pretend you've been everywhere as you give baaaaaad advice. Right Syrahkim?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Oops, that should be "use" not used . . . I am paranoid since the spelling/grammar police were here recently!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 12:33 PM
amaclise

I sometimes feel there are just as many threads lamenting, "Don't you hate it when new posters do this, or don't do that" as there are threads asking what to do with 3 days in NYC. And the latter is actually in need of some help.

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:21 PM

What a relief to know that there are some posters who enjoy catering to the slothful.

I would like to send you my carpet, which is in need of cleaning.

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Sure, put it in the mail!
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM

Anybody who can't figure out what to do during three days in New York City might be happier going to Disney World or throwing money away in Las Vegas.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM

I feel the same way too, too bad it is quite off putting. Have a tendency lately to not get as involved as I once was. My favorite one so far is "helicopters"....?????? What? Here there? Where?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM
SAB
Original Poster

I'm not upset or lamenting anything or knocking newbies per se, just expressing a frustration, which apparently other posters share. To those of you who don't find it frustrating, more power to you. I hope you would agree that giving long time posters a place to express their frustration is OK--better that they do so here than be snarky or get into a cyber fight with a newbie, don't you think?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
TheWeasel

I'm not really a *long-time* poster, but I find myself getting more irritated than I used to when I see the same questions over and over. I try to ignore them. If I see a generalized question, I usually tell them to be more specific and let it go at that. The weather questions and mileage bug the crap out of me. It's not that hard to find out what the average temp is for pretty much anywhere in the country, nor is it real difficult to find out how far it is from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon (or some other example).

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I'm fast losing patience with the people who clearly want only to be told to do exactly what they want.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO