Long Island

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:22 PM
JOHNRYNDFLEISZ

Long Island

I need information on activities for children in Long Island, Nassau County. My family and I will be there in Aug of this year.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:31 PM
John

JOnes Beach!

John

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Postal

Nassau County is quite large. What area will you be in and what ages are the children?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:54 PM
amanda

Most towns have a town beach. This is great fun and makes memories... On the south shore of Long Island, are ocean beaches, on the north shore of long island are calm sound beaches. Both are great fun and make memories.

The town beaches are less crowded in general from jones beach. You do need a town pass or the daily rate is quite high..

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:10 PM
yankee

The beaches are a great way to start. IMO, the kids would love the ocean beaches the most. There is a Children's Museum in Garden City. Haven't been there but heard it's o.k. Check out the website for Nassau Coliseum(sp?) in Hempstead. Sometimes there are family-type shows going on there. If you want to venture out east (approx. 2hrs.)...there is a waterpark - Splish Splash and a great little Aquarium in Riverhead. Also, almost every weekend in the summer there is usually a fair to be found somewhere. Enjoy!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 07:28 PM
andrew

Shea Stadium!!!!!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:53 AM
rick

I take my son up every summer to visit my family. The aquarium out in Riverhead is excellent. I was surprised how nice it was. Also check out the Long Island Game Farm in Riverhead, which is lots of fun for the kids. You can pet a lot of the animals and they have a few animal shows. Riverhead is probably a 2 hour or more drive from Nassau County, so plan to spend the day out there.

There is also a little amusement park, called Adventureland...I'm not sure if it is still there, but I believe it is around the Huntington area in Suffolk County.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Ben

Adventureland is still there. It's on Route 110 a couple of miles south of the Long Island Expressway.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:58 AM
rick

Ok, out of curiosity I checked the web for Adventureland...its actually in Farmingdale and the web address is
http://www.adventurelandfamilyfun.com/whats_new.asp

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Steph

There is also a Jillians (video and virtual reality-type games), plus restaurants also on Rt 110, just south
of Adventureland. There's also a multi-plex movie theater in the same area (in case it rains!) Also there's a miniature golf nearby. There's a planetarium in Centerport. These are actually in Suffolk County but may not be that far, depending where in Nassau you are staying.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Frank

Have lunch at the Pine Island Grill in Bayville. Right on the water with best view of Long Island Sound, bar none. Sit out on the deck if the weather permits, otherwise the view is almost as good from the interior. Great for a sandwich, burger, light entree, and drinks. Enjoy.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:37 PM
ddd

In Bayville, there is a mimature golf, battingrange, arcade for the kids.

I would definitely go to Jones Beach at night and take a walk on the boardwalk.
Ice cream, mini golf, shuffleboard, etc.
Of course, check it out during the day as well

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 10:54 PM
vic

Old Bethpage Restoration Village. 19th century houses and shops brought from all over Long Island, restored and furnished. Volunteers dressed in period costumes act out the roles. Educational and fun. Kids love it.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Nea

a new childrens museum just opened. It is near Hempstead Turnpike near Hofstra University.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Jeanne

Check out the website longislandtourism.com. There's a lot of information here. Some of our favorite things to do with our kids are:

Nassau County:
Jones Beach
Children's Museum in Garden City
Reptile Museum in Hicksville
Fishing Boats from Freeport
Bethpage Restoration Village in Bethpage
Sagamore Hill (Teddy Roosevelt's House)in Oyster Bay
Adventureland / Jillians in Farmingdale

Suffolk County:
Whaling Museum & Fish Hatchery in Cold Spring Harbor
Vanderbilt Planetarium in Centerport
Canoe rentals at Nissequogue River State Park (www.canoerentalslongisland.com)
Splish Splash (Waterpark) in Riverhead
Fire Island / Robert Moses
LI Ducks (baseball team)
Atlantis Marine World (Acquarium) in Riverhead.

The reptile museum in Hicksville is very small and a little hokey, but the kids love it!! They have all sorts of snakes, turtles, frogs spiders etc. They even have live shows. Our kids also enjoy Splish Splash. As a previous poster indicated splish splash is about 2 hours west of Manhattan, you can see it from the Long Island Expressway.

Have fun!!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Jeanne

Opps!! Splish Splash is 2 hours East of Manhattan.