Long Beach, CA in September

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be in Long Beach 9-8 through 9-12. We will probably be flying in to LAX. Is there transportaion from LAX into Long Beach or should we plan to rent a car or take a taxi? We will have 1-2 days free and would like to maybe go to Universal Studios. Are there any tour packages that would include transportation to Universal Studios or other attractions that would be in the same area? Thanks to any suggestions in advance.
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:17 AM

I live in Long Beach and love it, but I am assuming you're there on business or with a convention. It is, shall we say, an odd choice for centering a vacation.

SuperShuttle, among many van services, will get you to any hotel in LB (which one are you staying at?). Universal Studios Hollywood is some 35 miles from Long Beach, just so you're aware of the distance involved. Your best bet would be to talk with the concierge at your hotel. There are tour services available to several points of interest in the LA metro area (once at US-H, you might as well see a little of Hollywood).

You've never been out here, have you? As I've said in other posts, most visitors initially have no idea of the immensity of this area. The LA metropolitan area, including Orange County, comprises over 100 cities and 4,800 square miles. Long Beach is basically thirty miles due south of downtown LA, so it's essentially an hour from anything in that city. Without a car, you'll only get a hint of everything in the area.

Long Beach itself is a gritty little town with great attractions for its citizens, but it's not a great tourist draw. The Queen Mary, the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Museum of Latin American Art are its best-known destinations; Belmont Shore is its ritzy little neighborhood of bungalows and shopping. We have a fine symphony (one of the best "second-tier" organizations in the US) and an opera company mounting acclaimed avant-garde retellings of old works. It has some great restaurants and a "town" feel you can't usually find in LA. But tourism...? Not really. If you're looking for glamour, you won't really find it. We're working-class and proud of it. But if you're already coming, welcome!
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:26 AM

rjw has given you good info - but you would be well served to rent a car. SuperShuttle plus taxis etc will cost a LOT more than a rental -- and there really is no way to sightsee efficiently via public transit/tour buses. Even if you only rent a car for your 2 free days -- but I'd think about renting one from LAX for for the full time.
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:29 AM

I agree with you, janis. It would be a shame to miss driving down the coast to Laguna Beach, especially since September is usually a month of glorious weather here in southern CA. And it's just easier to get around.
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rjw_lgb_ca and Janis for your helpful suggestions. We do plan to go to the Queen Mary and the Aquarium. I would love recommendations of restaurants to eat at while we are in Long Beach. I agree with both of you that it is a great idea to go ahead and rent a car for the duration of our trip and that it would be a shame to miss such a beautiful drive. I am aware that it isn't a touristy town. That fact does appeal to us. We are going to Long Beach to attend the Long Beach Coin, Stamp & Collectibles Show at the convention center September 9th - 11th. We'll arrive on the 8th and leave on the 12th. We haven't yet firmed up our hotel reservations but are considering the Hilton, Best Western at the convention center (website says that it is new in early 2004), and the Holiday Inn. Any suggestions that either of you would care to make will be most appreciated. I would love to know of any neat shopping areas to go to in Long Beach. We don't necessarily have to go to Los Angeles, I just thought maybe that it would be a good idea for a day or two. The closest we have ever been to LA was the airport when our plane refueled there on our way to Hawaii. I have always thought that I wanted to go the Universal Studios. Also, any other LA suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.