Search

24 hrs in LA

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:03 AM
Tinam

24 hrs in LA

I need to spend 24 hrs in LA before flying to NZ. Any suggestions on where to stay, what to do and where to eatin LA? I've never been there so anything would be great! Thank in advance.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want an LA beach day, go to Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach which are only about 5 and 10 miles from LAX respectively. You can grab a cab for about $15 from LAX and be there in just a few minutes (tell the driver to take Vista del Mar instead of PCH to get there -- you drive right along the water with a great view!). I recently moved from Hermosa Beach where I had lived right on beach -- loved it . Lots of restaurants, bars, and shops within walking distance and some of the best beach around. You can walk or rent a bike to go along the Strand, a sort of a boardwalk that runs for miles north and south, all with great views.

Don't know your hotel budget but in Hermosa the best is the Beach House (http://www.beach-house.com/) but it can be pricey, around $250/night. It is right on the Strand and next to the Hermosa pier with lots of restaurants and shops. For something less expensive, the Sea Sprite Motel ($120) in Hermosa (http://www.seaspritemotel.com/) is also right on the beach and just a block or so south of the Beach House. It's by no means fancy but always seemed pretty nice/clean and has the same great view.

Here is a webcam from the top of Hennessey's, one of bar/restaurants that has a great deck for lunch or watching the sunset (http://www.hermosawave.net/webcam/). You can see the Beach House hotel in the upper right corner. The best breakfast would be Good Stuff which is on the Strand right next to the Beach House.

There are lots of other places to go: Santa Monica, Venice, Sunset area as well. But for me, a laid back day at the beach is the best.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Tinam,
If you give us an idea of your age group and what interests you, I'm sure we could come up with an interesting 24 hrs. for you. I like KCJill's idea if you enjoy the beach and don't want to see the heart of Los Angeles. It also helps knowing what time of year you'll be here.

For me, a great summer moment would be to be to spend the day at the beach, perhaps walk along Main Street or the Promenade in Santa Monica, then head east to the Greek Theatre for a meal and a concert, or the same at the Hollywood Bowl. I believe the Greek Theatre website is www.greektheatrela.com. I just got tickets to see Neil Young in July (yeah!) and am still trying to get Coldplay tickets at the end of May at the Bowl (they're sold out). Summer at the Bowl offers mostly classical music, jazz, or show tunes, sometimes fireworks, with a few rock nights thrown in for good measure.

Another fun thing is to see a Dodger game if they're in town while you're here. Even if you don't like (or understand) baseball, the atmosphere (and grilled Dodger Dogs) is great entertainment.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:03 AM

In the morning, I'd go to the beach (Manhattan Beach or Hermosa, as KCJill recommends). In the afternoon, go over to Hollywood Park for horse racing (this is in Inglewood, close to LAX). In the evening, I'd have a Dodger Dog dinner, as Surfergirl recommends.

Going to Dodger Stadium would mean renting a car. Staying at a place that is off the beach, say along the PCH, will get you a lower room rate to make the car more affordable.

Right "in front" of LAX are several hotels and car rental companies. You can take the hotel shuttle, check in, and then walk around the corner about a block and a half and get a rental car. If you arrive and leave in the morning, then you can drop off the car at the end of your day when you return to the hotel. Otherwise, you could park the car overnight in the rental company's lot. I'm think specifically of staying at the Hilton and getting a Budget or Avis car.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:46 AM

What is your arrival time in LA, and what day of the week?
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Tinam

I arrive May 31st @ 2;30 pm and depart June 1st @ 11;30pm.

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:02 PM
jd

I agree with staying at the Beach House-it is so nice.You can walk right to the pier area for some good restaurants. We liked the Cantina Real for Mexican.