london to honolulu through baggage.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:02 AM
linda

london to honolulu through baggage.

my husband and I are making a trip from london to lax(virgin) and lax to honolulu(hawaiian) we would like to check our baggage throught so we do not have to reclaim and recheck in Lax. Virgin airways have told us this is up to the check in staffs discretion on the day.
anyone any advice or experience?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
ttt

this was just asked. I've topped the post for you.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:19 AM
linda

I need to know about international luggage transfers and any experience of this particular airline,so I don't really feel its a repeat question.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:19 AM
scigirl

You will probably have to clear customs in LAX (assuming it is your first US stop) which will require claiming your baggage, going through customs and passport control, then rechecking your baggage with Hawaiian. At least, this is what I've had to do on every Europe -> HNL flight that I've taken (4 in past 2 years). I very much doubt that the issue is simply up to the staffs discretion on any given day.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:36 AM
amy

Linda,
scigirl is correct. you will have to claim luggage, clear customs, passport etc and place bags back on "transfer" belt as long as you did check your bags from London to Honolulu. depending on day and time plan extra time to make connection.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:40 AM
x

Picking up you bags and going through cusotms should be ok, as we've said on your previous post, as both Virgin and Hawaiian are in Terminal 2 at LAX.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Gregory

Hi Linda,
Heading to Honolulu via LAX you will have to clear Immigration , collect your baggage and clear customs before putting it on the transfer belt/check in.
On the return flight you should have the bags checked through to London ( no need to collect them at LAX)

Regards
Gregory

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:07 AM
kam

Pretty sure you will need to clear US Customs and Immigration in LAX and then recheck your bags into HNL. We used to fly Swissair from Zurich to Boston to Chicago and we had to clear customs in Boston. We have also had to clear customs in Dallas when returning from Mexico to California. The US doesn't have an "in transit" system the way most countries in Europe do, or at least not that I'm aware of. Best to call Virgin and inquire again. It doesn't sound like a decision the check in staff can make.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:29 AM
kam

I believe that all flights from outside the U.S. whether US airlines or others will land at the Bradley International Terminal to clear customs. Then Linda will need to get down to Terminal 2 where Hawaiian is. Don't panic---there are A bus shuttles to take you or it's just two terminals away. If you have wheelies you can easily walk it, just be sure you have a lot of time between flights. Customs in LAX can really be slow---especially if you get behind a Mexicana flight!