LOGAN AIRPORT HOTEL AVAILABILITY AT 7:00 AM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can we check in at a hotel close to Logan at 7:00 am after arriving on a red eye special from LAX? We'd like to sleep for 4 to 5 hours and then drive to Burlington, VT. We contacted several hotels but they cannot guarantee a 7:00 am check-in. If we reserve the room for the night before, we have to check out at noon and that's a tad too early. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:55 PM

I'm surprised no airport hotels around Logan have the option of renting you a day room starting at 7:00am. What time could they guarantee?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Patty... We'll be arriving on 8/30/03. If we reserve the room for 8/29, we have to check out at noon. If we reserve the room for 8/30 they cannot guarantee early check in. The rationale is that it's Labor Day weekend. If they would only extend the check out time to 2:00 pm...
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:12 PM

The simple solution is to reserve for two nights.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:22 PM
GoTravel

No hotel will guarantee a 7AM check in. I would go to priceline and get a cheap room for two nights.

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:33 PM

I would not bother with overnight reservations, just ask the hotel if they have a day room rate and what's the earliest you can occupy. If I understand your initial post correctly, you only want a room starting at 7:00am for 4-5 hours, right? It will certainly be cheaper than paying for 2 nights.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:42 PM

There are a few hotels in Boston with 1PM checkout - Le Meridien and Fairmont Copley, for example. Le Meridien is very generous with late check-out, especially on holiday weekends, although whether it would apply to a one night stay, I don't know.

You might also want to consider Club Quarters. I think this can be booked only through Hotels.com, but to my recollection their "late checkout fee" is only $25. I'm not sure how "late", though. This hotel is located in the financial district, with a parking garage nearby that's inexpensive weekends/holidays. Rooms are just fine. Rates are a bargain.

Once booked, I would definitely advise letting the hotel know you don't plan to check in until the next morning.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone, for your replies.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:39 AM

Patty, that's not necessarily true. Some hotels (not all) offer day rates, but they are based on the rack rate of the day. If the hotel is experiencing high occupancy on the day you arrive, then the day rate you will get will be very high, often exceeding that of a booking through a consolidator. I would agree though, that you need to pay up somehow for the extra time, you can't expect the hotel to give you a freebie.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:01 AM
OliveOyl

Could you find a hotel that would allow you a late check-out? That is not an uncommon request and you are only looking for an hour or two past normal check-out time. Your departure would be on a Saturday of a 3 day weekend and I can't imagine any airport hotel would be so full Saturday night that they need to turn that room right away. (I know there is a Hyatt within the airport grounds, so you could get to your room and bed quickly)

Old Aug 4th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Might you consider going a little further away from Logan on your way to VT? You might have better luck with a 10 am check in because people generally seem to check out by then except for the every-last-minute types. And you'd almost certainly get a better rate than in downtown Boston.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 10:42 AM
sam

Maybe try the Holiday Inn Boston Logan Airport. Free airport Shuttle, free parking, 1 mile from airport. I found on www.ICHotelsGroup.com for $77.38 for 8/29. They may be able to accomodate.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM

stevecat,
I believe that day rates are a percentage of the rack rate of the day, not the full overnight rack rate.
I called the Hyatt at Logan and their day rate for 8/30 is $97.50. It's a bit higher than what I've typically paid for day rooms in the past, but may compare favorably if for instance Treesa tries to book a room for 2 nights as others have suggested. I only checked the Hyatt, but I believe there's also an Embassy Suites and Holiday Inn near Logan and those may have lower day rates.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:35 AM

BTW checking a few internet sites, the lowest overnight rate I found at the Hyatt was $120, so the day rate is still slightly lower. Of course that's considering someone would choose the Hyatt to begin with.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 01:10 PM

If you do the Priceline for 2 nights approach, be sure to read the experiences/warnings posted on biddingfortravel.com. Even though you have prepaid/nonrefundable for two nights, some hotels seem to try to apply "normal" reservation rules and cancel even a Priceline reservation if you don't check in on the first date of the stay. Thus, if you book the 2 nights via Priceline (should be good rates at airport hotels on holiday weekend), be sure to call the hotel directly on the night you leave LA, telling them you want to check in over the phone, giving credit card number, etc. so they hold the room.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. We've decided to tough it and drive to Burlington (we'll share the driving and carry lots of coffee). Then we'll just crash at our relative's house. I'm sure we'll be zombies for a day. The whole thing was getting too complicated. I'm very grateful for your replies. If any of you need some information about San Diego, I'm at your disposal. And if you're ever in town, I'll treat you to a cup of coffee and french pastries.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:20 AM

No reason to drive all the way and be zombies .... just stop at a motel/hotel along the way and inquire about a "day rate". SOME place will have it, maybe even at the Logan. It's just that you can't be GUARANTEED a room at 7am unless you're willing to pay for the previous night. Happy Travels!