Lodging questions for our New England trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got some great answers on the question asked earlier this month (thanks for the good advice from everyone) so thought I'd try again in our quest for lodging.

After spending one night in Salem (and touring the the day before) we will head up to the Kennybunkport area in Maine for 2 full days and one night. On our way to Kennebunkport -– stopping in or driving thru Kittery, the Yorks, Ogunquit, Old Orchard Beach. We would like to spend one night in this area but can't decide where it should be. Any suggestions for one night under $200? Also looking at the Woodstock Inn & Brewery for one night (in Vermont) - anyone stayed there or any other charming place? And lastly (for now) we want to spend 3 nights in the Back Bay area of Boston -- found lots of rather expensive places at $300 or $400 a night. Any suggestions for something under $250 - we'll be turning in our car so would like a place where we can walk everywhere or take local transportation.

Appreciate any ideas!
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM

For Boston, have a look at www.betterbidding.com and consider using Hotwire, or, if there are two of you, Priceline.

One day is really not sufficient Kittery, the York, Ogunquit, and Old Orchard Beach if you plan to make stops (such as for lunch). OOB is not on the way, and is really a height of summer destination, so not much to see/do in late September, but you would find low rates there that time of year. Rates are generally lower (and much better value for the dollar) in Wells Beach than Kennebunkport or Ogunquit, and is situated between the two.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
yk

When will you be traveling?

Cheaper options for Back Bay would be
Park Plaza Hotel
Hotel 140 at 140 Clarendon
Midtown Hotel across the street from Symphony Hall

There are lots of hotels in Back Bay - have you checked rates for all of them? Some smaller hotels in that area are:
- Copley Sq Hotel
- Lenox Hotel
- Charlesmark Hotel
- Eliot Hotel
- Hotel Colonnade
- Back Bay Hotel

And then there are the business chains including
- Hilton
- Westin
- Marriott
- Sheraton
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 02:31 AM

We just spent a lovely 2 nights at the Dunes in Ogunquit. Off season rates were under $200 for some of their units. Our room with king bed was considered a motel unit but was one of 4 that looked like an old fashioned white cottage. The bedroom was small, almost entirely bed but there was a separate LR area. Both LR and bedroom had TVs. We also had adirondack chairs and patio table outside. Lots of nice, grassy area and quiet yet on rt 1 (there's a long driveway so it's well off the highway).
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 05:03 AM

I used Hotwire for Boston and got a great place in the Back Bay area. With Hotwire you don't know the hotel until you book it. I usually look at the star rating. Everytime I used hotwire I was not disapointed. If you are staying in the middle of the week prices are better.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:02 AM

I think your trip is in September, right? I did a quick check on hotels.com for rates, and one of the better deals that showed up was the Omni Parker House for $269. While not in the Back Bay, it is in a pretty convenient location, very close to Boston Common.
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM

We were in that area in May. We stayed in Saco at the Hampton Inn. The rate for 4 persons was $86. There were 2 queen beds. The hotel was nice and the breakfast was good.
Not sure why it was so cheap - the cheapest room we had on our entire 3 week "road trip".