Search

lodging near Bryce

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lodging near Bryce

Hey there, I've heard a lot about Ruby's, right near Bryce. Currently we have reservations to stay at the lodge in Bryce Canyon, but noticed there's no A/C or cable TV (you know for nighttime). I also noticed Ruby's is a little less expensive and is right close by. Any suggestions???

Does it get hot at night in Bryce???

FYI - I'm all set w/ this, but my girlfriend needs it to be cool at night, or at least have a fan going...

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM

We stayed at Ruby's last winter on a visit to Bryce. The room was nice and we had no problems with it. The motel is, I believe, adjacent to the park. You can catch shuttle busses there, as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM

It gets damned cold at night at Bryce (ask me - I've camped there in August) because it's at a high elevation. No A/C needed - but you may want to use the fireplace (I remember there being gas fireplaces in the lodge cabins). The cabins have no TV, true, but they were, I'd say...rustically romantic. The best part was getting up and walking a few steps to the rim of the canyon to watch the sun rise.

I have not stayed at Ruby's but have heard the rooms were decent. All the tour buses out front squashed any desire I may have had to stay there on my second (non-camping) visit. I have eaten at their restaurant though...food was way to greasy for me.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 05:45 PM

I was at the lodge with my family around 7/1 this year. True there is no TV or AC. None needed. The cabin we had did have a fan but that was only used for background noise. I had a lady tell me she was there in '01 and they had snow on 7/28.

The benefit of the lodge is that you are right at the rim Rubys is a drive to the rim and is quite crowded. They are the only show in the area.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Eva

We just got back from Bryce and would NOT recommend you giving up your room at the lodge to stay at Ruby's.

For starters, you will most likely not need AC. The weather at night is pleasantly cool and there was a fan in our room (never needed it).

As for a t.v., if you spend your days hiking, you will be pleasantly tired enough in the evening that a couple of pages of a good book are about all you need before sleeping. You will also want to turn in early in order to get up to catch the sunrise. Our 11 year old daughter was annoyed when she heard there was no tv but did not miss it one bit!

As for Ruby's, well it had a kind of tacky carnival atmosphere that I did not care for. You cannot beat the lodge for the atmosphere and location.

We used to live outside of Portland--read the Portland Press Herald every day.

Enjoy your trip. Bryce was my favorite part of our 2 week trip to the SW.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

great, well thanks for the advice guys, we'll stay at Bryce, can't wait!!!!