Search

Lodging Info in Estes Park Colorado

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Judy

Lodging Info in Estes Park Colorado

Author: Judy ([email protected])
Date: 5/26/2001, 12:45 am ET

Message: Can someone suggest a clean, relatively inexpensive place to stay in Estes Park, Colorado, in August? I would especially enjoy being on the river. Also, are there places I should definitely avoid?

Old May 26th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Kevin

Last time we went we stayed at The Stanley Hotel. This is where Stephen King wrote "The Shining". The rooms were small,the bathrooms were old and the TV didn't work. Check it out when you are in Estes Park but don't pay the high prices to stay there.

Old May 26th, 2001, 07:48 PM
gb

I think one of the best values in Estes Park during the summer is the YMCA of the Rockies. They have a variety of typles of lodging from dorm type room, to private basic cabins, to fancy private cabins. And it's plesantly wooded with activities for kids if you need it. Not on the river. I don't have the number, but your nearest YMCA might have it. Don't need to be a Y memeber to stay there. AAA book says that Deer Crest lodge is by a stream. ($894)The river really isn't too big as rivers go. More like a large stream, and in August,water is usually very low.
By the way, many of the rooms at the Stanley have been remodeled.

Old May 26th, 2001, 07:50 PM
gb

Opps-should read $84-94

Old May 28th, 2001, 04:26 PM
mamabaker

Just came back from ymca Estes Park today. If you are not a member you will not be able to get a cabin for August. Be aware that the grounds are spectacular, but service is limited (no tv). We have stayed at Ponderosa lodge (right on river) rustic but clean.
Mcgregor Mountain lodge is family run and has nice grounds, Holiday Inn and Best Western are just what you would expect. Cheap prices in summer are about $100-120 a night. American lodge is very modest and near town, but has good lower prices and large rooms. Hope this helps. We live in Denver and go to Estes park about 4 times a year. If you e amil their chamber of commerce or call on phone, they can tell you who has openings and prices. This is a small town that depends on tourism and they are very helpful in finding you the right accomodations. If you send a request via email they will forward to all available hotels and they will email you back with options. This tool is very useful.