Reload this Page >

lodging in the Grand Ganyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:23 PM
Lorie

Couple in late 20's visiting the Grand Canyon. Any lodging recommendations? North Rim, South Rim? We have no idea which to choose.

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:15 AM
Paul Rabe

The South Rim has better views, MANY more facilities (a plus or a minus, depending on your preferences), and FAR more visitors. The North Rim is cooler and MUCH less crowded. If you go to either Rim, make certain you have firm reservations; nothing worse than spending two hours looking for a place to stay when you should be looking at the Canyon!

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Neal Sanders

Lorie, the North Rim has a single lodge (called, logically, the Grand Canyon Lodge) with 220 rooms. The South Rim has about 800 rooms spread out in six or seven properties; some right on the rim, others as much as five miles back.

Paul is offering sage counsel: make certain you have a reservation before you go. They're handled by Amfac, which is amfac.com or 303-297-2757. Amfac's web site has a very good description of the properties, so when you call, you'll have a pretty good ideas of what you're being offered.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 05:53 PM
Perks

Stay at the El Tovar on the south rim. Don't go in the summertime. Too many people.

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 07:55 PM
Bob Brown

When I saw your message, I decided to check a few dates at the South Rim lodges run by Amfacs. I think you might get a room in late November.
There are private motels outside of the park in a settlement called Tusayan.
There is a Holiday Inn Express, a
Best Western, and several others there.
I have no idea about availability.
If you want to go to the Grand Canyon during June, July, and August, you need to make your reservation virtually a year in advance.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 11:07 AM
Penny

Lorie,

You don't say what time of year you're planning to go. The North Rim is closed for part of the year due to snow. When we were at the canyon in mid-April several years ago, the North Rim was expected to be closed until May sometime. I don't know if this is true every year or not.

We stayed at one of the National Park lodges on the South Rim and loved it. I believe it was the Thunderbird Lodge, but any one of them with a view of the canyon would be great. It's unbelievable. Go for El Tovar if you can. If you can't get a room there, at least have dinner there.

Enjoy your trip. (By the way, April was a great time to go, although there was still some snow and ice on the trails.)