Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging in Santa Barbara/S Ynez-Desperate!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:05 PM
LLynch

We are going to Santa Barbara and staying for 5 days at the new Bacara resort. We are very excited, but still have 3 nights left to plan and we are going next week!!! I would love to see the SB wine country, but have looked at a couple of websites and I am still at a loss. We would like a really nice place to stay-we are not really into chintz/quilts etc, but love a cozy but elegant inn or B&B. Should we head North to Carmel? If so, any suggestions? Restaurant ideas would be great too-Thanks, and happy travels!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 10:37 AM
kam

They're probably booked already, but Fess Parker's Wine Country Inn in Los Olivos or the Ballard Inn in Ballard would be perfect. You could also look in Solvang--many hotels, but more touristy. And, there's the old Santa Maria Inn in Santa Maria--old, historic, adequate lodging with a pretty pool. Town is nothing special though. Carmel is too far to see the St. Barbara wine country. It's in the Monterey wine country./

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 11:25 AM
willi

While in Santa Barbara, try the Mimosa (French,very) restaurant.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:29 PM
xxx

There's a Marriott hotel in Buellton which is only a few minutes from Solvang and is located in very close proximity to many of the wineries.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Y

Be sure and try the spilt pea soup at Anderson's restaurant in Buellton.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Jay

I believe the Health Department made Anderson's take the spilt pea soup off the menu.
Replaced by a delicious split pea soup, though.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Dana

If cost is not an issue you can check the San Ysidro Ranch. The most expensive place in the area, full of history (JFK/Jackie's honeymoon spot, Churchill wrote part of his memoirs while living there).
Individual cabins, but not rustic. Many with outdoor private hot tubs, etc. Great food. Very informative website.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Joe

The towns of Lompoc and Santa Maria are 15-20 minutes from the wine areas of Santa Ynez and have plenty of cheap affordable hotels.

FWIW, Andersen's restaurant is terrible. I would highly recommend the Hitching Post and AJ Spurs.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We love AJ Spurs! We eat there whenever we are in the Solvang area. Great steak and rustic atmosphere. It's on the main road into Solvang 246 I think. Also, lots of Hotels in Solvang. Fun place to visit, lots of shopping and wine tasting too!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:14 AM

I think Mr/Ms Lynch will have a tough time factoring that suggestion into his/her trip to Santa Barbara.

But maybe some future visitor will be interested.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM

If you head north to Big Sur, check out Post Ranch Inn and Ventana. Both great places and definately NOT quilts and chintz. Both have super restaurants, qhich have superb views.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:37 PM

Not that your information is not valuable to someone, but the original post was nearly 2 years ago.