Lodging in Anchorage

Search

Lodging in Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging in Anchorage

Any opinions / preferences on staying at The Voyager Hotel or Diamond Center in Anchorage? Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM

We stayed for 2 nights at Voyager after a week touring Alaska and prior to a cruise. Easy walk to downtown, parking in big lot across the street. Rooms were large, comfortable, clean. Desk staff was competent and helpful - we were doing laundry in their facilities they had change, key to room, instructions. Able to recommend places to eat as well. Not fancy, but just about everything one would want for a night or 2, perhaps longer.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

I'd love to hear your dining recommendations as well. We'll have our two kids (ages 14 & 16) with us. So fancy - is out of the question and not feasible - since we'll be eating out for 10 days. We'll be in Anchorage, Denali and Seward over 10 days. I would like to try the Double Musky in Girdwood though. I have no idea of cost there. I've written down a few restaurants I've read about on Fodors: Snow City Cafe, Moose Tooth Pizza and Glacier Brewhouse. Thanks for the tips.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Location, location, location makes Voyager a slam dunk.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Another option I'm looking into is the Clarion Inn. It looks to be just down the road from The Voyager. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Another recommendation for accomodations in Anchorage--Big Bear B&B. We (family of 4) stayed in the Denali Room for 3 nights and loved it! It had plenty of space for all of us and the bathroom had a spa tub and a separate shower. We had a peek in the other rooms as well and they looked as nice as ours. The owner is a former home economics teacher so she knows how to cook! We had the most delicious breakfasts there!
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Glacier Brewhouse was very good - but plan on a wait, even mid-week. We were in Alaska June with our 17 and 21 year old "kids".

In Seward there is an interesting place at the beginning of town housed in an old railcar. It has about 6 tables and was great for breakfast - don't remember name, but you really can't miss it.

There is acceptable food near Denali, but nothing I would recommend - it just was not that good. We ate at a place called Salmon Bake (they do not bake salmon there, though). It was pretty good.

If you are driving between Anchorage and Denali, the best advice I got here was to stop in Wasilla (yes, home of Sarah Palin) for groceries and supplies. Even soda, snacks, lunch items - there really is not much north of there. If there is a decent place to eat in Wasilla, we missed it.

And in any case, bring money (or credit). We loved Alaska and had a great trip - we knew it was expensive, but was even pricier for food than I had predicted.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gail. I appreciate all the tips.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Location is a bit better at the Voyager. You're close to the Capt. Cook inlet lookout and coastal trail.

Plus Orso and Glacier Brewhouse are right there.

I'm not a big fan of the Capt. Cook Hotel restaurants -- decent but somewhat overpriced and predictable -- but Crow's Nest has high-end food and killer views on a clear day. Good place for a drink -- right across the street. Also, Corsair -- right at the Voyager -- used to be one of the top places in Anchorage but it's been years and years so I can't rec.

If you stay at the Clarion, you're close to a fun place for a drink called Bernie's Bungalow. Not for the kids, tho. Clarion is very close to the DT mall and a block from rec activities on the Park Strip.

Best way to compare ... check it on Google Earth and turn on the dining/shopping placemarks.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Repete,
Wow, thanks. I use Google maps all the time - but didn't know about the dining/shopping placemarks. I'm going to check it out now. Thanks a bunch.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM

The Bear Tooth for eating as well. Same folks who own the Moose's Tooth but this place is a restaurant and also has a movie theatre ($3) where you get to eat dinner and have a glass of beer along with the flick. Good place for teenagers if you can find the right movie.