Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging for family of four in the French Quarter?

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in NO as a kid and dh and I visit regularly. We are toying w/the idea of taking our kids for spring break this year. I know, it may sound like an odd place for a family trip to some, but since I lived there in my younger days it really appeals to me. The zoo, riverboats, music, swamp tours, art, history & FOOD!

Anyway, dh & I usually stay at Royal Sonesta but this isn't really an option w/the kids. I want to be in heart of the French Quarter, but probably not right on Bourbon St. We'd like some sort of suite (separate living area & bedroom) but prefer a place w/New Orleans charm rather than your standard Embassy Suites. Maybe old apartments that have been converted into a hotel? Nothing too $$$$ but not low end either. Suggestions?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM

We stayed at the Place d'Armes a couple months ago and thought the location was terrific - it is on St. Ann, between Chartres and Royal, just off Jackson Square. I don't know if they have rooms with seperate living areas like you are looking for, but there were quite a few families with children staying there, so it might be worth checking out.

I think NO is a terrific place for a family trip.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

It looks like Country Inns & Suites might be a good option. I can't seem to find any small suite hotels in the FQ. Anyone stayed there?
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:05 AM

i live in new orleans and regularly take the family for a weekend in the quarter. i love the hotel de la monnaie on the edge of the quarter near the faubourg marigny area...very nice two bedroom suites at very reasonable prices.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM

The Hotel Provincial has "petite suites" which open onto a pretty little courtyard.

Location is good--in the quarter, but closer to French Market area.

www.hotelprovincial.com

Byrd

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM

We stayed at the Iberville Suites, pre-Katrina. I have no idea what they are like now, but then we had a great stay. The property is next door to the Ritz, who also own the Iberville Suites. The decor was casually elegant with a New Orleans feel. Our room had a sleeping area and living area, separated by a dressing area and bathroom.

Another possibility you might investigate is the Quarter House. I haven't personally stayed there, but have heard positive comments.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM

See my post at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Here's the post I was referring to.

We stayed at the Quarter House in the FQ in a 1 bedroom w/ kitchen and living area on a timeshare exchange. It was very nice, like a small hotel. I just looked at their website http://www.quarterhouse.com/ and the rate for the unit we had is 225.00.