Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging @ Custer State Park--Which one??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to book lodging for June 2014 sometime this week for Custer State Park. I am having a difficult time deciding which place to stay. Any opinions of this place for lodging and/or location, etc. Sylvan Lake, Game Lodge, Blue Bell, or Legion Lake?? Will be here 4 or 5 night and then on to Yellowstone.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 06:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
This site should be helpful http://www.blackhillsvacations.com/blackhills/maps/
I looked at the pdf map and it looks like the area between tunnel 4 and tunnel 5 would be a good place to look.
Can't you wait until May or June to make your reservation? Some of these places may be closed by snow now.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

You can make online reservations now. Some of them only offer 2 or 3 cabins in each of their categories. I like to stay exactly where I want to stay, thus my reason for wanting to decide now so I can get a "best" spot. I am just not sure what that best spot or even particular area in the park might be. It is my experience in places like this you better jump on things ASAP to get the spot you want.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 06:22 AM

It is good that you are booking early. In Jan. 2013, I tried to book cabins for June 2013. A lot of the cabin configurations were already unavailable at that time. Here is the virtual tour of the cabins in the Blue Bell area of Custer State Park: http://www.custerresorts.com/blue-be.../virtual-tour/. The newest cabins in the Blue Bell area are the Sleeping Cabins (containing 2 queen beds).
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
cd

Spiro, we stayed at the Custer State Park Game Lodge and at that time, 10 yrs ago, there was no AC in the room we had and it was not bearable so they moved us to the motel building next to the Lodge, which is like a Motel 6 but at least it had AC. You might want to check if the room you have, has AC. Some have window units. The dining room is very good.

We had Breakfast once at Sylvan and enjoyed the views there. I don't know what the rooms were like but I loved the views, swimming and watercraft.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

cd,

Thanks, I actually read your trip report(or perhaps it was a reply-but I found it when I searched). I have a cabin booked at Sylvan Lake. I'm really using it for a base. It sounds like typical "park lodging". I debated about staying at the newer Creekside addition at the property. It's very hard to get any real difference on these properties anywhere online. I can't really tell the difference in the parks Sleeping Cabins and Housekeeping Cabins. They are both the same price. One has a fireplace and the other has a 2 burner stove and no bathtub/just a shower.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 06:09 PM
cd

Spiro. I don't know the difference either. Perhaps someone else will be more helpful!