Lock or unlock luggage at LAX airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM
SSN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock or unlock luggage at LAX airport?

Hi,
We will be passing through Los Angeles airport on our way to New Zealand from Canada. Is it still required to unlock your luggage? When would we be able to lock our luggages again? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Hi, SSN. I read up on this question on the American Airlines website just last week. I'll be going to Wales in the Summer. Here is what the TSA has to say about the subject:

Locking your Checked Baggage

In some cases screeners will have to open your baggage as part of the screening process. If your bag is unlocked then TSA will simply open and screen the baggage.

However, if you decide to lock your checked baggage and TSA cannot open your checked baggage through other means, then the locks may have to be broken. TSA is not liable for damage caused to locked bags that must be opened for security purposes.

TSA suggests that you help prevent the need to break your locks by using a TSA recognized locking mechanism. These "special" locks can be opened by TSA using tools provided to us by the luggage industry members.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Sorry, SSN. Being from Canada, you may not know that TSA stands for "Transportation Security Administration".
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 04:51 PM

As an Australian who recently travelled to the US and Canada, I suggest you use cable ties on your suitcases instead of locks. I used them for every flight regardless of destination or departure point.

This gives you piece of mind that your case is locked and makes it easy for the TSA to inspect your cases without damaging them. If they do open them, they will seal them up again with one of their tamper-proof ties (blue ones, so you can spot them straightaway). One of my cases was looked at 2/3 times during my holiday but resealed with the TSA tie.

I kept a pair of large nailclippers in one of the suitcase pockets (which had no access into the suitcase and nothing else in there) so I could cut the ties open as soon as I got to my destination.

Ties can be bought at your local hardware store.

Enjoy yourself.

Mac123
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:47 PM
SSN
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. We have hard-side suitcases with combination locks. Do you see any problem leaving them closed but not locked (although we feel better locking them)? Thanks again!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It entirely depends on the airline. We had locks on our luggage and took Virgin out of LAX last summer. They had you stand to one side, where they screened all of the baggage, so if they needed to open it, you were there to take off the locks. If they were satisfied, they had someone come over to tell you that you could continue on to the airplane lounge.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM

Recently I flew from JFK to Beijing on Air China. Lufthansa handled the check-in at JFK and all luggage HAD to be unlocked before weigh in and placement on the belt to the handlers.

My bag was inspected, after check-in, at JFK. An inspection sticker was placed on my bag. Just don't put anything of extreme value in your suitcase. Samsonite does make small plastic one-time-use locks, that can be easily snipped open. Much cheaper than having a $250 suitcase permanently damaged.

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM

I flew out of LAX last month, and all checked-in luggage had to be unlocked prior to giving it to the screener.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM

We ALWAYS lock our bags and use the little plastic cable ties. we announce at check in they are locked and will be glad to open them if requested. Never had a problem, but figure if the locks get cut..check the contents for loss.
NEVER CHECK VALUABLES, FILM OR MEDICATIONS IN THE BAG.Carry a couple extra locks if the ones on the bag get cut.
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 02:56 PM
SSN
Original Poster

Thank you all for sharing your experience. The combination lock is part of the hard suitcase so guess I will have to keep it locked and let them know I will gladly unlock it if needed. Unfortunately there is no other place to attach a lock or a plastic cable tie. Many thanks to all!