Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location recommendations for East Coast February vacation

We are looking for a really nice getaway in February that is:

A. easy to get to from a NYC airport, and
B. has a moderate to warm climate.

I know this is a broad question, but I can't seem to find just the right spot. I'm looking for a place that is very pretty, that is close to a town or small city with some good restaurants, and that is relaxing and child friendly (we have a 14 month old child). I don't think I'm looking for a Miami type location which lacks charm (from what I've seen) and is far too busy and built up.

I'm just looking to get a few off the cuff ideas if you have any. Thank you for reading!
Katherine
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

And the location doesn't HAVE to be on the East Coast, but I need it to be easy to get to! Thanks!!
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:35 AM

What about Savannah, Charleston, or Hilton Head? It won't be beach weather per say, but it will be lovely to walk around and relax in any of those locations.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:50 AM

In Feb, I'd go further south. Sanibel Island, FL maybe? Or one of the Keys?
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 12:17 AM

Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com for historical average temps in places you are considering. Weatherbase.com has a feature called "Vacation Finder". Enter in the month you want to travel, and the minimum acceptable temperature. It will show you where you can go. (You also then have to check rainfall to make sure you won’t have hot rain.)

I love Sanibel, and agree it would probably fit your criteria, but it can be on the cool side in Feb (and even in March). Same with places like Hilton Head or Savannah. Perfectly livable, but on some days not beach weather; I am not sure if you will require it to be warm enough to sit outside in a bathing suit every day, which may be an issue in South Carolina, and would be a bit more probable but also a matter of luck on Sanibel, IMO. I agree that the Keys are a better bet in terms of being assured of a bit warmer weather. (Miami can be cool in February in any event so I would not worry about crossing it off your list.)

Almost any place in the Caribbean would be sure to be warm, and many are easily reachable from NYC airports, e.g Puerto Rico.

While perhaps on the cooler side, sunny places like San Diego or Laguna in California may work as well (not sure how long a flight you are willing to undertake). San Diego has the great zoo and Catalina Island, Laguna has a nice downtown and great beach. Newport or other towns south of LA may also work I think. Santa Barbara may also work, and is really beautiful. Check weather websites. Also look at someplace like Phoenix. You don’t specify whether you need a beach or not. Warm sun there most days and interesting desert areas. Parts of New Mexico may work as well.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your input, everybody!! I had considered Charleston because I've always wanted to go, but am a bit concerned about the weather there. 60 degree weather is ok if it's sunny (is charleston sunny during the winter), but without the sun, it can be chilly and drab. Sanibel is a good idea. I will look into that. The keys, if I'm not mistaken, are a couple of hours by car from the nearest airport. With a 14 month old in tow, I'm really hoping for a destination that is a simple flight away and then a short car ride. I had also considered Santa Barbara, but, again, I don't believe there's a direct flight that will get me close enough. I'll have to check to see for sure

Thanks, again, for all your thoughts on this! I really appreciate it!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and beach weather is not required! Thanks!!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:42 PM

OK, if you wont’ be disappointed if you can’t sit on the beach or by the pool in a bathing suit, then I would agree that Sanibel would fit your needs, as it is a lovely island with a very low-key atmosphere. You can bike, walk, shell, play golf, take boat rides to see manatees and dolphins, etc. There is shopping and some good restaurants. There are many hotel and condo options. You might try Tortuga Beach (now managed by Hilton, see https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com...collection.php, Sanibel Cottages and Casa Ybel which they also operate are quite nice too), which I think is a very nice place, not sure if they have rentals still available for February. But there are many other options as well like South Seas Resort out on Captiva (see the Hilton link).

Naples would also be some place to consider, a much larger more developed place, but still charming, not overly built up (it is not Miami) and has a really nice beach. Some parts of Ft Myers might work as well.

Sanibel, Captiva, Ft Myers and Naples are all an easy flight from Newark to RSW airport in Ft Myers on Continental. Jet Blue also goes from JFK.

If you can, I would avoid the week before and after President’s week, when schools are likely to have their mid-winter break. No point competing for hotels/condos and flgiths with families with school age kids if you don’t have to (yet). Of course it can be hard to time, as different schools have different holidays, but those two weeks are more likely than not.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone! I'm going to check into the lodging options you mentioned, and also consider some of the other spots in that area. Thank you very much!