Living in Morristown,NJ

Search

Living in Morristown,NJ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:33 PM
RN

Living in Morristown,NJ

Hello everybody!

Could you provide me some information in ways of living in Morristown, NJ? Any inputs are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:35 AM
cheryl

The question is a bit vague, so maybe I could help you better if you responded off-list. Does it have to be Morristown, or will another Morris County town do? Apt. or house? Price range? What are you looking for- restaurants, shopping, lifestyle???
Remember, Morris County has been named the most affluent county in the US this year, so there are a lot of choices.
I lived near Morristown for 30 years, so I could probably help you out!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:18 AM
x

Are you referring to North Jersey? Because there's also a Moorestown (spelled differently) in south jersey.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Philip

Why would you choose Morris County? EVERYONE knows anyone who is anyone lives in Bergen County. BC rules!!!!!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Grew up in

Morristown, NJ is a really nice town to live. It's close to an international airport (Newark) and 45 mins by car from NYC and 2 hrs from the Jersey Shore. There is a lot of Revolutionary War historical sites and parks. There is a central square (called the "Green") and lots of stores (including a Starbucks and Gap, and a new Century 21 dept. store). A wide variety of neighborhoods. Nearby towns are nice (incl. Madison, Chatham, Harding, Mendham). Lots of good restaurants and you're not far from the Short Hills Mall. In short, I recommend it highly.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Pele

Ya-having a Starbucks AND a Gap store qualify for a really nice place to live.That's a scary thought.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:43 AM
RN

Cheryl, yes, it's Morristown, part of Morris county. I might be working there in Morristown Memorial Hospital so I'd like to have some info re housing, apartment, safety, neighborhood,schools for kids, etc. Or would you recommend a nearby town to live. Thanks!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Fran

I cant believe that a place so close to Newark and the Jersey turnpike can be nice! Your messing with me aren't you?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:07 AM
cheryl

First of all, to you clods who think Morristown is just another place in the stupid NJ joke category, it's nowhere near the NJ turnpike nor Newark. If you haven't been in NW Jersey, please don't come. The western counties are full of lakes, hills, and lovely places to go. NJ isn't all oil refineries.

Now, RN: There are apts just behind MMH (on Franklin Street, I believe) which cater to employees. Morristown is very pricey as to housing, but you can find something more reasonable in Madison (next town to Morristown) or Parsippany. Still, "reasonable" is about $1000 a month or so. The general rule is the farther west you go, the less expensive housing is, but that's relative. RockawayTwp, Roxbury, and Mt. Olive also have more reasonable housing.
Salaries are generally good but are offset by the housing and the high taxes.
Schools are run on a district-by district system, and it's hard to go wrong. Avoid Dover, Boonton, and possibly Mt. Olive, but otherwise the schools are excellent.There are a lot of professional types who live in Morris County, and they want the best for their kids. It costs, but it's worth it. The priciest towns are Harding, Mountain Lakes, and Mendham.
It's a good place to live - one day you can be pumpkin-picking on a farm, the next day you can take the Midtown Direct train to Penn Station and explore NYC.
Lots of shopping - clothing is tax-free.
You can go to all sorts of outlet malls in NJ, or just across the PA border there's a good one in Tannersville.
Hope this answers some of your questions...
Cheryl

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
RN

Cheryl, thanks a lot for your valuable info! Do you have any info re Summit coz i'm not sure at present which Hospital I'm working it might be in Overlook Hosp. also located in Summit, NJ so any inputs like apartment, housing, schools, etc. are very much appreciated.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:36 AM
RN

Cheryl, thanks a lot for your valuable info! Do you have any info re Summit coz i'm not sure at present which Hospital I'm working. It might be in Overlook Hosp. that is located in Summit, NJ so any inputs like apartment, housing, schools, etc. are very much appreciated.