Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Little Rock Arkansas hints? How about practical tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a job in America! It is in Little Rock, Arkansas. Anybody know anything about Little Rock, particularly tips about living? Neighborhoods?

I will be there for probably 2 years. By that time, my spoken English will hopefully be very good and as good as my written English. I should also be able to contribute tips about Arkansas and Texas.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:35 PM

Congratulations!

Sorry, I don't know anything about LR, just wanted to recognize your good fortune.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:55 PM

I know lots about Little Rock...could you be a little more specific about the kind of information you need? Most of the new growth is in the west side of town, but the older, more established neighborhoods are in the central part. Hillcrest and the Heights are both really nice neighborhoods. They both have restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc. In the western part of town, there aren't really any established "neighborhoods" per se...mainly huge housing areas.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your kind reply, Susan.
1. Are there areas of crime that I should avoid? I did see areas immediately south of downtown and near the Capitol that did not look extremely crime ridden but was a bit shabby. Some areas immediate south of I-630 seem slight unkept, but not too bad.
2. I saw some old houses near Kavanaugh and the presidential streets (Buchanan, Pierce) that seemed ok. They are close to downtown yet not too close. I was considering going to work by bicycle, though that could change and I could drive (on the wrong side of the road!) I prefer not too fight traffic though I suspect that even west LR doesn't have too heavy traffic.
3. (less important - I can ask locally) Is there a cheap grocery store? How about fancy grocery store with better cuts of meat, produce, seafood? I have heard that a few Wal Mart stores (Superstores or supercenters??) have food sections which are cheap, though the selection is limited.
4. Do you know an accountant? It's going to be complicated next April 15 with all these different kind of tax returns to file.
Hints about #1 and #2 would be most appreciated.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Where will you work? That probably would be a good starting point when deciding where to live. As a general rule, living in downtown near the Capitol can be very hit or miss. It's a higher crime area than other areas. Moving away from town on Kavanaugh, Hillcrest begins at the junction of Markham and Kavanaugh and most areas north of Markham are good options. The houses may not always look great, but they can be very expensive. In Hillcrest (or the Heights, which is further up Kavanaugh roughly where Kavanaugh crosses Cantrell) there are plenty of grocery stores, cleaners, restaurants, etc., but no huge discount stores like Wal Mart. The really big discount stores are out west. You shouldn't have any trouble finding groceries, either discount or otherwise as long as you're willing to drive. Many people have a regular grocery store then go to Wal Mart or Sam's for stocking up on less expensive items. I haven't found that items in supercenters were limited at all...in fact, Sam's has lots of things that aren't available in stores in my neighborhood.

As for riding a bike to work, that might be a problem. We have very hot summers (lots of days over 95) and winter can be very cold. Though Little Rock has lots of people who bicycle for pleasure, it isn't necessarily set up for people who want to park and lock a bike. Unlike other towns with bike stands, Little Rock has none.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Hi Hiroshi, as a member of the Little Rock work force would love to help you out. I work just west of the downtown area, near the zoo. Would love to show you around. I even have a favorite sushi bar, Sekisui, in west LR, since Hiroshi looks like a Japanese name.(Apologize if I am incorrect) My son even speaks alittle of the language. Interested? If so can tell you how to contact me or you can do the same. When are you to arrive? PS Susan was right on track.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:18 PM

We moved from Little Rock about ten years ago, but still use the same accountant at Van Moore & Co. 1501 N. University in Little Rock (501) 663-1170.