Reload this Page >

Little Palm Island - Is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 12:14 PM
Allison

Coming from Northeast in end of January, we love the South Fla. and the Keys, even tho sometimes it can be cold. We've stayed at Islamorada, Marquesa , Pier House, Marriott in KWest, South Miami Beach, Boca Raton Hotel. u name it. This year is special and we want something different. Little Palm Island in the lower keys caught my eye. Is it really worth the price? Help me justify it.

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 12:45 PM
susan

I suggest you do a search of the AOL travel board for Florida. Eveyone raves about Little Palm Island, but I'm not sure anyplace rates $1,000 a day!!!
It's strictly a place for folks who want to rest and get away from civilization. No tv, no phone, and I don't think they even have newspapers.

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 07:09 PM
Liza

This is one of those "relative" things. It's a fabulous experience, but whether it's "worth it" depends upon you perception of same. If you think it's worth $1000/day to wiggle the flag on your floating lounge chair to have someone bring you a drink, you'll appreciate the expense. Otherwise, no...

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 07:48 PM
brent

This is one of those questions for which I seldom find the forum's input to be helpful. The answer is best derived by taking an inventory of your tastes and what appeals to you. In this case, if spending $600-900 a day is comfortably within your travel budget, if you value seclusion rather than activity, if you're going to get away from rather than to 'the excitement', and if you're not expecting Four Seasons type accommodations but rather an upscale Tahitian motif, then you'll probably enjoy your visit. The seclusion is really the biggest difference from the other FLA trips you've mentioned. Part of what you're paying for is the cost of running this isolated operation, but don't expect to find the the same array of amenities as at Boca Raton or the more traditional elegance of Islamorada. If this appeals and if you go with proper expectations, you'll be very satisfied.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 10:23 AM
susan

Speaking again as a devil's advocate: I was in Key West the first week of January last year and it was cold and rainy. Far too cool to swim, and really too cold to just walk around without a heavy sweatshirt. So if you're considering spending this much money on a trip - especially one that requires considerable time on a beach or in the water - I'd sure advise going when you have an optimum chance for great weather.

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 05:38 PM
troy

My wife and I spent 3 nights at LPI two years ago. With room, meals (3 meals a day), tips and tax included we spent about $2700. If you won't miss the money then yes it's worth it for once in your life. Absolute top notch service. Very, very relaxing. No young children around. Thatched huts with jacuzzis, mosquito netting beds, outdoor bamboo shower, dining tables on the beach. It was so tranquil that I don't think we could have stayed more than 3 days. The first day we oohed and aahed. The second we relaxed and the third day we wondered what was in Key West to see. If you go make sure you snorkel at Looe Key Reef and only get the "two meal a day" deal instead of the "three meal a day". The food was the best we ever had and there was lots of it. I couldn't finish three meals a day there and I eat like a pig. Tip: Contact them through their website and ask if there is an Internet special. They'll probably pick up the Key West (or Marathon) transfers for free plus a free bottle of champagne. This month's Conde Nast Traveler Reader's Poll ranked it the country's 6th top small resort.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 01:32 PM
Anna

We spent 5 nights at Little Palm Island in September. We definately enjoyed it, but, to be honest 2 nights would have been enough.

The food was the best that I have ever tasted in the USA, the snorkelling was specacular (reef sharks, barracuda etc) - but a little expensive and the staff were fantastic. The beach attendant mastered the art of being attentive without being intrusive. The water-skiing 'captain' took time off his vacation to take us water-skiing (again very expensive). The waiters (with one exception) were excellent.

The rooms, however, are in need of refurbishment (with the exception of two new & MEGA expensive suites). The best part was the outdoor shower - reminded me of African bush camps (not the jacuzzi).

If you can afford it, it is worth doing once, for acouple of days. Be careful, however, to budget for the extras. Everything is expensive, not just the room / food.

Personally, we preferred the Moorings at Islamorada, which was much less expensive, just as peaceful, and you could feel as morooned as you want without being precluded from trying a variety of restaurants.

We are not sorry to have stayed at LPI, but we will be returning to The Moorings.

Hope this is useful.

Old Nov 23rd, 1999, 01:47 AM
Noah

There are places in the Caribbean and the Bahamas which are quite secluded, much less expensive, and more predictably warm. See my post of travel url's and post to the Caribbean forum.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 01:51 PM
helper

KELLIE/Burke here`s some info posted a while back on Little Palm Island~

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 03:01 PM
Donna

It's definitely up to you. Some places on the planet have no trouble attracting all the clientele willing to pay high prices and no one ever complains "it wasn't worth it". If you can afford it, why not? To me, there's no need to justify spending money you've earned on yourselves. At $1000/day, it doesn't cost any more, you just can't stay as long...

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:32 PM
Sue

You can take the ferry to LPI for dinner and stay at any hotel off the island. Reserve the first seating so you have time to walk around the island in daylight. You might get a better feel for whether or not to drop the big bucks next time.