Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Little Italy Restaurant for Dinner 2 moms and 2 - 12 Year Old Girls!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

We would like to experience Little Italy when we come to NYC next Saturday. Coming from Boston. We love our version of Little Italy a.k.a. the North End.

Looking for a fun restaurant the mom's will enjoy, very good food (I am Italian , casual dressy atmosphere, entree prices mid range $25-$30 per entree (will that get us anything) and that will of course welcome our daughters!

Also, looking to explore the area any recommendations you might have would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Most NYers would tell you to avoid Little Italy since you can generally find better restaurants in other parts of Manhattan. Many of the restaurants in Little Italy would fall well within your price range. When I must eat in Little Italy, I choose Da Nico. (I'm not sure I would call it fun. When dining, I'm not usually looking for fun.)

http://danicoristorante.com/home.php

Little Italy borders Chinatown which would probably be interesting for your girls to explore.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just a word of warning -- New York's Little Italy is very diminished these days, largely taken over by Chinatown. I haven't eaten in the restaurants there for a long time, but they have been aimed at the tourist trade for even longer. So there is enough for a short stroll. For food, I'd look elsewhere.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM

John Gotti's old "social club" is now a designer boutique. The disapearance of Little Italy is more than the expansion of Chinatown from the south, it is the invasion of the tragically hip from the north.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM

If you do decide to dine in Little Italy, have dessert at:

http://www.ferraracafe.com/nyc/
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM

I agree. There is really no "area" of Little Italy to explore. There are a few notable food shops and a wealth of souvenir shops selling things like t-shirts with Italian flags. For all I know, these are owned by Chinese these days. Or Albanians. You really do not want to eat there.

If you want to see a version of a Little Italy type neighborhood, you might want to go to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx but this entails a pretty big schlep for a casual visit if you do not have a car.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM

I you're going to eat in Little Italy your best bet is Il Cortile at 125 Mulberry Street.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM

Il Cortile is another passable option in Little Italy and Lombardi's pizza is on the edge of LI and very good (one of the famous pizza places in NYC). For fun in another area, Il Vagabondo has an indoor bocce court. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/il-vagabondo/
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Will echo those who say there isn't much to Manhattan's Little Italy anymore, and by far the best food options would be either Lombardi's Pizza or one of the espresso-and-cannoli dessert place akin to Caffe Vittoria in Boston's North End. Every guidebook I've seen pretty much says the restaurants in Manhattan's Little Italy are of the tourist trap variety with weak food and people standing outside trying to wave people in. The latter is never a good sign anywhere, and it certainly isn't in Boston's North End. If it were mine, I'd just combine this idea with an exploration of Chinatown and the Lower East Side, all of which are very close by, and likely have my big meal at Katz's Deli or a good Chinese place like Big Wong King rather than a Little Italy option.

Arthur Avenue in The Bronx is supposed to be more like a real Little Italy experience in NYC with some Italian restaurants that are actually good. Haven't been to confirm this, though.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Are you willing to venture to Arthur Avenue? Or to Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn? If so, we will be happy to recommend eating places. For example, Lucali in Carroll Gardens is far superior to Lombardi's in both food and atmosphere, in my opinion.

http://events.nytimes.com/2006/11/29...ws/29unde.html
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Little Italy is indeed shrinking, and all summer long the restaurants will have outdoor cafes so it would be fun for you and the girls.

I can recommend Luna as a good option, good food and good prices.

After dinner, walk through the area, have some desert and then walk down through Chinatown.

A few other suggestions would be John's Pizza, which I think the girls will like uptown not far from Times Square and the restaurant is in an old church.

The girls might also get a kick of the East Village, ST Marks St is an interesting accumulation of boutiquish stores, and it's close to NYU so lots of students. A favorite place to stop in the area is Pomme Fritte, on 2nd Ave just south of St. Mark's Place. This place makes the BEST FRIES, and it's something your girls will talk about for a long time.

Also a bit north of there on 11th and 2nd is Veniero's for the best pasteries in the city imho. I used to live not far from there, and visit on a regular basis. The front of the store is take out and the case full of goodies seems to go on forever, lol. Stop there and pick up something to take back to your room.

For excellent Italian food, you might try Quatro Gati uptown
just east of 3rd Ave and 81st. Best Italian I have ever had. A friend was with me for a first visit from Italy and said it was VERY authentic and excellent.

A last suggestion, you didn't mention how long you would be here, but Ellen's Stardust for a lunch is a must for the kids. The waiters are broadway wantabees so you get entertainment with your sandwiches, and the shakes there are GREAT.

Enjoy your trip, the weather's been great here.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:56 AM

For dessert I would also suggest Veniero's.

For nothern Italian (not red sauce) I Coppi and Supper.

For interesting Italian try Perbacco. They offer small plates so everyone can have different tastes.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/3/36944/...bacco-New-York