"Little Italy" in NYC

Search

"Little Italy" in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Little Italy" in NYC

when I was growing up in NYC maaany moons ago, a section of the Village used to be called "Little Italy." With that part of the city divided up into neighborhoods with names like SoHo and NoDo, I'm wondering if someone out there can tell me whether "Little Italy" now has a new name too?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:53 AM
GoTravel

Mulberry Street (Via San Gennaro).

Chinatown has long since been encroaching on Little Italy and what is left of it is basically one street.

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Little Italy is now about four blocks of mediocre restaurants along Mulberry Street, north of Canal, which mainly cater to the one off tourist trade. There are few, if any, Italians still living in the area.

Much of what was, LI, is now Chinatown. North of Chinatown, there is a stretch of expensive boutique shops known to some as NOLITA (North of Little Italy) - 0bviously coined by the same real estate interests that gave us Soho, Noho, Tribecca, etc.

I'm a native Manhattanite and have lived most of my life downtown - Village, East Village, Lower East Side - and remember when Soho was simply known as "the South Village. I'm guessing you're referring to the area between present day Soho and Washington Square Park.

FWIW, I like Umberto's in Little Italy, but the new location lacks the charm of the old place, which still had the bullet holes in the wall from when they shot Crazy Joey Gallo.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Little Italy is still Little Italy but as GoTravel says, only a few blocks. There are still some Italians who live there and certainly the social clubs still exist. Here's a map

http://www.ny.com/nyc-cgi-bin/frame?...me/sights.html
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM

a much more authentic "Little Italy" is Arthur Avenue in the Bronx. go to the Zoo or Botanical gardens and then there for lunch and pastries.