Little Cabin in the Woods?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a little cabin in the woods for an older couple? We recently sold our trailer and so ended many years of camping/RVing by which we enjoyed being out in nature. We did a little fishing, swimming, sightseeing, hiking, and family fun but mostly just relaxing...exploring the area, campfire, reading, watching videos.

Now we'd like to locate one or more clean vacation cabins for relaxing, maybe in a scenic state/national/private park (anywhere in the country as we travel alot). No resorts, time shares, noisey kids, barking dogs, personal water crafts. Just a little cabin in the woods, perhaps by a lake or stream. Thanks!

ozarksbill
[email protected]

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM

There are cabins that you can rent near the Hoosier National Forest just outside of Nashville, IN. It is a beautiful area with wildlife, streams, hiking, etc...

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:23 PM

We rented a cabin a few years ago just outside Ouray, CO and had just the kind of vacation you describe. We rented through VRBO.com
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:13 PM

I assume you're looking for a place in your area. However, I can tell you that the inland Pacific Northwest (Washington, Idaho), has lots of places to rent like you discussed, many of them lake frontage. I haven't rented a cabin for several years, but when I did, I found the cabin by checking the Spokane paper (Spokesman-Review) every Sunday in the spring.

The mountains here, especially in Northern Idaho, are just wonderful!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:38 AM
vcl

Stokes State Forest in Sussex County New Jersey has a grand total of 10 rental cabins on its almost 16,000 wooded acres. The cabins are available from April 1 to Dec. 1 at $280 a week. Check it out at http://www.state.nj.us./dep/parksand...ks/stokes.html
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM

Blackwater Falls, West Virginia rents cabins in the park.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM

schlegal1 stole my advice.The state parks in both PA and WV are exactly what you are looking for. My favorites are Blackwater Falls in WV and Cowan's Gap in PA. You could cover a lot of sighseeeing area by piecing together several nites each as you work south from PA into southern WV.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM

We've stayed at Blackwater Falls and several PA state parks and loved it. Check on their DNR sites. Also New Germany State Park in Maryland has nice cabins.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas! I had a posting glitch and wondered why I couldn't respond. Anyway, we are just getting ideas right now for cabins (maybe a lovely lodge or special B&B) anywhere in the country. We do have family East whom we visit, so could stay over en route in some scenic WV or PA place, and we are planning a drive West. Likely there are cabins closer at hand and we'd like to know about those in Missouri, Arkansas, etc. if anyone has a handle.
ozarksbill
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:32 PM

We've stayed in several MO state parks. Check out thier website for which parks have cabin rentals. Also, Pere Marquette park in Illinois (just north of St. Louis) has cabins and a lodge built by the CCC. Go in the winter for eagle watching - the park is on the river.

Also the St. Louis Post Dispatch ran an article not too long ago about cabins within a few hours of St. Louis. You could try searching thier archives.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:51 PM

Alpine Village in Jasper, Alberta. See pictures on tripadvisor.com. We loved our cabin, we read, hiked, watched rafters float by, barequed great dinners!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we've stayed in Mo. State Parks in our trailer, and in fact were recently in Illinois' Pere Marquette Park cabin...just what we are looking for.

How about Wisconsin, Kentucky, Oregon, places like that?
ozarksbill
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM

I gave a couple links for places in Oregon on your other thread, Ozarksbill.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM

I found your thread on the Mississippi forum, so I am going to offer info on some great places in Mississippi. Try the cabins available through the Pat Harrison Waterway District, http://www.waterparkin.com/

We have been to each park and have enjoyed them all.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM

In Kentucky, we have very good state parks, many with cabins. You might like Cumberland Falls near Corbin or Lake Cumberland at Jamestown, KY.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I use vrbo.com as well as cyberrentals for this type of accommodation & have never had a problem. If you need specifics in Ohio, NC or Tn. I can probably offer some suggestions.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all ideas...I'm still listening. Next trip is out to Arizona in Feb. and likely we will look into cabins connected with National Parks. Any leads out that way?

ozarksbill
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I can’t help you with AZ but the Hocking Hills region here in OH is often referred to as the Hot Tub Capitol of the Midwest. Scroll down the page at the following site and look for all the cabin rentals. Most have hot tubs. Even with so many cabins, you need to get your reservations in early for fall and Thanksgiving as they fill up quickly. I have rented two so far, the Little Cola Cabin, and also the Cross Creek cabin with Old Man’s Cave Chalets. Both were wonderful! I can’t wait to try others. Be sure to visit Old Man’s Cave while in the area. It’s a very popular hiking area and quite nice. Also visit the Rumpels Grove complex in Logan for a wonderful gift shop full of crafted items, an antique store, canoe rentals, and an ice cream parlor. You can learn more about the area on the same site below.
Hocking Hills Lodging
http://www.hockinghills.com/stayat.htm
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM

We loved our cabin in Custer State Park in SD. We had a new cabin; I guess the older ones aren't as nice.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Ozarksbill,

I read your post asking me to come to this post, but I'm not sure I can be of any help. The only cabins we ever stayed in were in Yellowstone National Park back in 1974!

The National Parks that I know that have cabins are Zion, Yellowstone, & Yosemite but they are in conjested areas.

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -