Lexington, KY for a Day? Louisville?

Old May 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexington, KY for a Day? Louisville?

I have a wedding in Cincinnati in early November. Don't have to attend any event until Friday evening. Was thinking of flying out a day early to "see something different" (read: don't want to wander through a metropolitan downtown not much different from my own randon downtown city).

Assume landing at lunchtime on Thursday and staying around for the rest of the day, over night and most of the next day.

In looking at a map it appears Lexington is about an hour from there and I've never been to Kentucky before. Scarily it is also so much cheaper to fly there than Cincinnati that the extra cost of a 1-night hotel stay and rental car would likely even out. Intrigued by the horse farms, distilleries and I like college towns. IS this a good place to go at that time of year for a day or so. Louisville a better destination? Somewhere else in Southern Ohio?

Thoughts from anyone appreciated.
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:40 AM

If you like horses, be sure to check out The Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington. Depending on the events that may be going on during your visit, it could take all of your time.

http://www.kyhorsepark.com/
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:56 AM
maj

I would pick Lexington. Along with the Horse Park, there is also Shaker Village which is interesting. There was quite a bit of information here a year or so ago about the area and things to do.

The drive up I75 to Cincinnati though the rolling hills is scenic. Lexington is a little bigger than what I would call a "college town" (and yes I know UK is there), but with the amount of time you have I think that is your best bet.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated.

BTW: I didn't mean to demean Lexington as a college town. I aleays consider the home of my alma mater (Austin, TX) a college town and Austin obviously has more to offer than just the University of Texas.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM

If you decide to spend the day in Louisville you could do a tour of Churchill Downs which I think is enjoyable even if there aren't any races at that time and the Louisville Slugger Museum. Both of those are places where you could "see something different".
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM

CVG is the most expensive airport in the US. SDF is generally less expensive than LEX.

What are your interests?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM

There are several distilleries between Lexington and Louisville.
http://www.kybourbon.com/english/pages/trail.html

Frankfurt is in that vicinity as well. Daniel Boone is buried there in a nice cemetery overlooking the town.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:10 AM

I would either check out whatever track is running at that time (probably Churchill since they run through Thanksgiving) or perhaps visit the "Bourbon Trail" & Bardstown, Ky.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM

If you like arts, crafts and antiques - Berea, KY is a great little town just south of Lexington you should consider visiting.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the help.

Just wanted to update my thread and seek additional advice. We decided on Louisville and will land about 1:30 on thursday the 8th and don't need to be in Cincy until 6ish on Friday night. I figure that gives me slightly more than 24 hours.

I saw that Churchill is running at 1230 on both Thursday and Friday. If possible we'd like to also see the Louisville Slugger Museum and head down to Jim Beam while in town. What is the best way to do that? Also, when at Churchill how feasible is it to see the Museum?

Assuming I get out of the airport by 2:30, I was thinking of going down to the distillery since it was the furthest away (should I call ahead?). Plan to go somewhere downtown for dinner and then maybe go to a local bar to watch some of the Louisville-West Virginia game. Any recommendations for good local spots?

Was planning on Louisville Slugger first thing Friday with the racetrack occupying my late morning-early afternoon. Then after 5 or 6 races driving up for the wedding.

Thoughts?