Le'Merigot Santa Monica CA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? Interested in hearing if this hotel is newly renovated, luxurious and in good location?
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I've got to tell you that I stayed there overnight last spring, and was not all that impressed -- rooms were very typical Marriott. I wouldn't call it luxurious. Although the lobby and outside are attractive, it just barely rates 4 stars, and my old AAA book (2001) gives it 3 stars, which I believe is more accurate. While visiting Santa Monica, I saw Shutters & Casa Del Mar, which both look nicer and the Del Mar looked much very interesting. Don't waste your $$. If you have Marriott points, go for the Hollywood Renaissance. Much nicer.
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:59 PM

I would have to second that. We just stayed there last month for about 5 nights and in no way is this a "luxury" hotel. Granted it is nice, the lobby smells great but aside from that it is overpriced in every way and you can find better depending on where you really want to stay and what you want to do. Our room was very large and decorated nicely but again it wasn't the highlight of our trip. The pool is pretty dinky and plain, the french restraunt isn't what it's cracked up to be and did I mention that they try to rip you off in every way possible? $3.50 a piece for a can of coke in your room. $28 a night in parking and then they even tax the valet parking fee. Location wise, it is pretty close to the pier but I don't see how any rooms could really have a full ocean view as there are buildings about as tall as the hotel that block it. We only saw the pier becuase we decided to move to a smoking room and you could see in between the buildings.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 07:07 AM

What "newly renovated"? The Merigot is practically a brand-new hotel! It's a JW Marriott that was built maybe four years ago. Good, not great, location, but for your money I think you'll have a much nicer stay a bit up Ocean Ave at the Fairmont Miramar.

Full disclosure: I work up the street, but have not stayed there myself. However, clients have, and all say that they preferred the Miramar by a wide margin. Historic property, but maintained to very high standards, beautiful grounds, breathtaking views (when the @%^$& fog burns off), luxurious rooms. Shutters and Casa del Mar are good alternatives as well. The Merigot (and the Loews a couple of doors up the street) are frankly overpriced for what you get.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM

I have stayed at LeMerigot and the Fairmont. The Fairmont is so old nostalgic Santa Monica and top class, however, it is a little walk to the beach and promenade and the park next door has a lot of transients. But you can get some good deals on their website. Le Merigot is very nice and if you are lucky, you will get partial view of the beach. I love Casa Del Mar but it is very expensive and check out the Georgian Hotel on Ocean - it has a nice veranda and lobby and upper level ocean view rooms and good deals on their website.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM

the room we booked had a "partial" ocean view, and we paid quite a bit more than the regular room for it. Not worth It! You had to stand up and crane your neck to see the ocean, and if you sat down at on the balcony, the ocean view was gone...
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:27 PM

Frankie, funny that you say that because we booked a streetview room and when we arrived at the room we called the front desk and asked to be moved. The only King they had left was a smoking room but it had a partial view of the pier and beach and we didn't have to pay anymore for it.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:44 PM

We just returned this afternoon from a two night stay at the Shangri La hotel.

We stayed in the Arizona suite (named because it is on the Arizona Avenue side of the hotel) and loved it because of its large size -- it must have been a one bedroom apartment with a complete kitchen, an immense balcony, and its admittedly shabby chic (it's art deco --not luxurious). We were told the room had a partial ocean view, but because of the suite's location on a corner and the fact that the building across from it sits back from the street, it was practically ocean front.
We considered it a fun suite, but I must emphasize that it is due for a renovation. The location is great, across Ocean Avenue from the beach, two blocks from the 3rd Street promenade and three blocks from the pier.
Probably because its due for some work and because it doesn't have a pool or restaurant (but is serves a so so but free continental breakfast and a free afternoon tea-- also with coffee and cake), its rates are lower than any of the hotels mentioned above. And parking is free, an expensive extra at most of the other hotels.
There are good, convenient restaurants nearby.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 06:53 AM

I like the Miramar. It is a bit farther from the beach, but closer to shops and restaurants. And the views-if you get an upper floor, are outstanding.

I believe they recently renovated.
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 07:01 AM

mscarls: I'm actually looking at that suite at the Shangri-La from the building across the street RIGHT NOW-- glad to hear it's nicer than their dreary standard rooms (even with fresh paint, they're rundown). Yep, definitely due for a renovation.

Alisa: They did a big freshen-up at the Miramar a few years ago-- in fact, just before Fairmont bought the property from Sheraton. But this is a hotel that has always stayed well-maintained. Clients (and out-of-town colleagues) who have stayed both pre- and post-new owners say there has been no drop-off in quality. Even our persnickety London clients find it wonderful.