Left luggage at Newark airport

Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Left luggage at Newark airport

Hi there,
I am traveling on Holiday to New York for thanksgiving this year. On arrival into Newark on a Continental flight from Dublin, Ireland I have a day to spend in Manhattan at the end of which I am being collected by a friend. My question is, is there any left luggage facilities in Newark Airport, Penn Station, Grand Central, anywhere in manhattan?

It seems from the Newark airport website that their baggage facility is closed. But surely there must be somewhere that you can leave a bag for the day? I don't fancy lugging a suitcase around manhattan whilst trying to go shopping

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Best regards,
Mem.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:56 AM

I suspect it might be tough for you to find someplace to leave your luggage unattended. Even before 9/11 people were very security aware and now after 9/11 it is even more so. Perhaps you can not claim the luggage and have the airline hang on to it at the airport.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, that's what I am figuring too. There is definitely a business idea there for someone to set up a secure left luggage facility... Its a pretty handy facility to have.

Good idea re. leaving it with the airline. I'll give Continental a call and see what they say.

Cheers,
-mem.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM

I leave luggage with the airline instead of claiming it quite often, but on domestic flights. Don't you need to get bags and go thru customs upon arrival? I will guarantee you, the airlines will NOT take the bags back.

If worse comes to worse, I suppose you could take them to Penn (NY) Station, purchase Amtrak tickets back to EWR, and then check them at Penn's baggage check, which accepts only with an Amtrak tix.

It is pathetic that airports do this. I would gladly go to an isolated rack of lockers at the end of a parking lot to store my bags securely, if they'd provide it. I don't want to schlep my luggage around all day either.

Good luck!
Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:46 PM

It's not the fault of the airports. Security regulations do not allow baggage check areas or lockers because of the risk a bomb might be in stored luggage.

The only such facility I am aware of in the US is at Anchorage Airport and I do not know how they get around that federal regulation.
Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:01 PM

That is why I'm saying to put the lockers FAR outside the terminal. My bag is no more dangerous after the flight than it was during the flight. And with maniacs willing to sacrifice their own lives, bags in possession of their owner is no guarantee those nearby are safe either. "Security regulations" ??? It's not like those were engraved stone tablets sent down by God. Rules are modified all the time.
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:21 AM

How about a hotel check room?

Most hotels have a checked luggage room, and in my experience the bellhop doesn't know whether you will be checking in.

Lots of people arrive at the hotel in the morning before their room is ready, and leave the bags in the check room to come back later. Just pretend you are one of them.
Nov 4th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Nice idea, capxxx. Now let's see how many flames you get.
Nov 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM

I'd see no reason to flame. I'd just recommend that you have a few bucks in your hand to pass along to the bellman when you give them the bags.