Search

Lee Vining, CA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
ckg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lee Vining, CA

My husband and I are traveling from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite in the middle of June. We were not able to get accomodations in the park. I would like to know if anyone has stayed in Lee Vining. Any suggestions on where to stay? How long does it take to get into the park from Lee Vining? I understand that Tioga Pass is beautiful, but a little hair-raising. What can we expect?
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:07 PM

ckg,

I just want to warn you about two things. One Tioga Pass might not be open by mid-June. They are still getting snow in the mountains as I post. You can read more about it at the website below. There are also links to the opening dates of Tioga Pass.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

Second, Lee Vining is EXPENSIVE. Everything down to ice!

It is only 12 miles from Lee Vining to the East Entrance Station of Yosemite. It's another 62 miles from the entrance to Yosemite Valley.

If the pass is open then I would figure at least 2 1/2 hours from Lee Vining to Yosemite Village. You might want to plan a lot more time to do exploring.

It's a beautiful drive.

Utahtea
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On our honeymoon in 1989, we took 395 south from Lake Tahoe to Yosemite. My husband had never been down the east side of the Sierras or been to Yosemite. We stopped for the night at Lee Vining, a Best Western, nothing fancy, but expensive!!! About $85 in 1989!! We dropped our bags and went to the ghost town of Bodie and the next day stopped by Mono Lake before heading to Tioga Pass. Even though it was expensive, I would highly recommend doing this drive. Plus Tioga Pass was beautiful and not that scary.

My AAA book shows the Best Western Lake View Lodge 760-647-6543(***) and Murphey's Motel 760-647-6316(**). Good luck and have fun.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:02 PM

Hi----we drove from the west end of the Park (from the northwest end----we had hiked to a redwood grove, the name escapes me)to Lee Vining. It was in August so Tioga Pass was open and not "hair-raising". We were kind of in a hurry, so it didn't take as long as everyone said it would. I think maybe an hour and a half if for some reason you need to "hurry" thru that area. We stayed at the same Best Western that was mentioned above. It was an average B.W., nice, clean, VERY big room----don't remember that we thought the rate was awful. Off the top of my head I can't remember why we had to hurry from the west end of the park to Lee Vining, but I DO remember that without stops, it took us about an hour less than everyone quoted us. The next day, we drove back into the park from L.Vining, and did lots of hiking------very pretty country at the east end of Yosemite. I kept thinking I was Katherine Lee Bates and "America the Beautiful" was constantly playing in my head. We also saw Mono Lake (I think a bit south and east of Lee Vining). If you have time, it's quite an eerie site-----it seems we maybe spent an hour there. Yosemite is gorgeous----can't speak to the weather in June. Have fun!
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:22 PM
m367

Hopefully, Tioga Pass Road will be open by mid-June, and going from east to west is not a difficult drive. You seem to be hugging the mountains (on the right) at Lee Vining Canyon. It is a fantastic drive, and not to be feared! Stop and enjoy the views along the way.

Another reason Lee Vining is expensive, because there are only a few motels. You have an option of driving another 25 minutes south to June Lake. I do not know the rates there.

Also, another 15 minutes past June Lake is the town of Mammoth Lakes. There are plenty of accommodations there, from Motel 6 to whatever you want to pay. Fuel may be expensive there, but the supermarket prices are the same as in LA. There's a great Visitor Center at the entrace of the town with plenty of help and information. You would have to back-track to Lee Vining, but 395 is not heavily traveled and the road is good.

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:17 AM

I don't think going into Yosemite from Lee Vining is hair-raising at all. Even going back out is no big deal anymore. When you get to the top of Tioga Pass there is so much to see all the way down to the Valley. Stop at the first viewing place to see half dome from a different angle. All that granite is amazing. Tuolomne Meadows is a very nice stop as well. Lots of people make a bee line for the valley and miss some great sites.

We stay in Mammoth and visit Yosemite. It's really not that much further away and Mammoth is a fun place too. Lots to see there. Since there is so much ski lodging during the winter the summer rates are pretty reasonable.