Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Utah on Sundya....will we still be able to buy a eveing cocktail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Utah for 9 days.
Is anyone aware of the drinking restrictions in the state?
Should I bmob?

No, I don't have a drinking problem, but I am on vacation and love a margarita at the end of the day. :0)
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Whoops! Sorry about the typos in the title...

That's Sunday and Evening

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Here's some info on drinking in Utah. It does say not to bring your own from another state. Wonder how that's enforced. http://sbi.utah.gov/liquor/faqs.html

Also saw a web site that said service ends at 12:00.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I don't know on what days of the week I've ordered drinks, but I've never had a problem. There are establishments that may choose not to serve any alcohol, but I don't think there's any state law saying you can't drink on a Sunday.

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor...l#general_info
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 01:58 PM

I dont know that you can't bring in your own liquor.The state owned/operated liquor stores have a minimum 61% mark up...They are closed on Sundays..Six pack will set you back about $11.00..My friends always drive to Wyoming about an hour away.If you are not eating as well, you will be embibing in a "private club" a membership to which will cost about $4 and be valid for your entire stay.The funniest part of drinking in the clubs nis that alcohol is dispensed thru state controlled, metered plumbing devices!! One ounce and thats it,bro.No doubles.Only one drink at a time.And you can't order a refill till you finish the one you have.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Ani

YIKES!
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 02:32 PM

The Liquor laws in Utah are not nearly as Draconian as one may think. A drink maybe had at any of the Restaurants and "Private Clubs" ..State Liquor Stores are open all days but Sunday if that is your deal. If you go to a " private club"..you need to purchase a member ship for $5..which is a pain in the arse..but the bottom line is that you can "buy an evening cocktail"....... without any proble
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 04:55 PM

I spent a lot of time with a friend in SLC in the 90's. Went back for a weekend in 2001 and nothing had changed. I was surprised that none of the rules were changed for the winter Olympics in 2002.

To say the least the liquor laws are squirrely. You must belong to a restaurant or bar's club in order to sit at the bar and have drinks before dinner. If you are not a member, there are usually a couple of tables in the bar where you can sit and have one, count-em, one drink before a meal.

If you are friendly with the bartender he can ask a regular who is a member if he will ?sponsor? you so that you and your party my have additional cocktails. This is a no obligation thing on either party, though technically if your ?sponsor? leaves the bar your drinking privileges go with him. The fee to join the bar is usually in the neighborhood of $25 and lasts for a year. I think you can sign up on the spot and start drinking immediately but I'd double check that.

If you decide to go bar-hopping after dinner the same rules apply about membership. You have to belong to each and every bar you plan to drink in or get someone to sponsor you. Even if you just want a coke from the bar, you need a sponsor.

You can't order wine while you have an unfinished cocktail on your table. It's a strict one-drink-at-a-time rule. You can never have a drink served before noon any day of the week.

An exception is the bar in the hotel where you are staying. Since you are staying there it's as if your membership is included.

SLC is not a drinkin' kinda town.

It would be nice if the fee to join is now $5 like firstmate mentions, but that wasn't the case a couple of years ago.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:48 PM

You can order drinks at restaurants (that serve liquor) without having to join a club. I had a stiff margarita near Zion at our table before dinner without any extra fees.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 06:58 PM

When I was there travellyn you could have that one, count-em-one drink at a restaurant while waiting for your table. But you couldn't have that second one without joining or getting a sponsor. You can't even get a glass of wine to take to your table.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

So....let me understand this.

If we go out to a restaurant and have a pre-dinner cocktail and want to have a glass of wine with dinner, it's not allowed?

Houston, we have a problem!

Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Nope...hold it.
I read a post above again, and it said that as long as you finish your first drink you can order another, just not two at the same time!

I don't have a problem with that.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 08:11 PM

Here's a little from the web site I cited above. I'm not sure you can make much more out of it than what has already been discussed.

General Info
The sale and service of alcoholic beverages is regulated by the State of Utah. Alcoholic beverage control is a concept that Utah shares with other states and countries. Utah's liquor laws are based on the general philosophy of making alcoholic beverages available in a manner that reasonably satisfies the public demand. In this respect, however, the state does not promote or encourage the sale or use of alcohol.

Legal Age
A person must be at least 21 years of age or older to purchase and consume alcohol in Utah.

The following is a summary of how residents and visitors to Utah may obtain alcoholic beverages.

Wine, Liquor, and Beer Full liquor service is available in licensed restaurants, banquet and catering facilities, airport lounges, and private clubs. Patrons may order liquor by the drink, wine by the glass or bottle, and beer in bottles, cans and on draft. Packaged liquor, wine, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) are available in State Liquor Stores and Package Agencies.

In restaurants with full service liquor licenses, liquor, wine and heavy beer (over 3.2%) may be served from noon to midnight. Beer (3.2%) is available from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Patrons must be dining in the restaurant in order to be served an alcoholic beverage. Patrons may be served at their table or in a waiting area. There are approximately 525 licensed restaurants in Utah, and most are located in the Salt Lake, Park City, Ogden, and Provo areas.

In restaurants with limited service liquor licenses, wine, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) may be served from noon to midnight. Beer (3.2%) is available from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Limited restaurant licenses may not sell distilled spirits.

An on-premise banquet license allows the storage, sale, service, and consumption of liquor, wine, heavy beer, and beer for contracted banquet activities on the premises of a hotel, resort facility, sports center, or convention center. It also allows for room service in hotels and resorts. Alcoholic beverages may be sold on any day from 10 a.m. until 1 a.m.

In private clubs, liquor, wine, heavy beer, and beer may be served from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Clubs sell alcoholic beverages with or without food, and patrons may be served at a bar or table. Many clubs provide live entertainment.

Although clubs are primarily for members and their guests, most clubs offer temporary "visitor card" memberships for a nominal fee (usually $4 for three weeks). The visitor card allows the visitor and up to seven of his/her guests to use the club. There are approximately 340 private clubs that offer full alcoholic beverage service. Most are located in the Salt Lake, Park City, Ogden, and Provo areas.

In airport lounges, liquor, wine, heavy beer, and beer may be served from 8:00 a.m. until 12 midnight. Alcoholic beverages may be sold with or without food, and patrons may be served at a bar or table. Airport lounges are located at the Salt Lake International Airport.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 05:54 AM

We went to a couple restaurants that appeared to have no bar, no wine list, and no sign of alcohol. Yet when we asked, they were able to produce a drink from some dark mysterious corner. But if that is the case, don't expect anything beyond a simple drink.
We also laughed when ordering a second beer with lunch at one place and they made it clear they couldn't bring the second one until we had finished the first one and the bottles were off the table.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Admittedly, this happened back in the 70's but, from the sound of it, not much else has changed. Friends of mine were living in SLC (we were all in our early 20s at the time). A couple of them went into a neighboring state to buy alcoholic supplies and were pulled over after getting back into Utah. The driver was charged with transporting liquor across state lines (in the trunk of the car). His passenger was charged with transporting liquor across state lines in his stomach.

I don't recall how it turned out except that they appeared in "court" in the judge's kitchen as the judge was getting ready to go fishing. (they were arrested in a very small town)