Alcohol in Park City

Search

Alcohol in Park City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcohol in Park City

We will be in Park City this weekend for an extended ski trip, and I have heard that there are special scenarios for this part of the world as far as drinking goes. How do these "club memberships" work? How much of a fee are we talking about here? And if we go to one place every night (not that we would probably) is that "membership" still valid each following night?

How about buying alcohol in liquor/package stores?
Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I can't tell you much about liquor/package stores, although I recall that we bought beer (and plenty of it!) without a problem.

As for the memberships, it's no biggie. Think of it as a "cover" charge. You get to the door and they ask if you are a member. When you say no, they look around the bar and see if someone will sponsor you. Someone will. Then, you pay a nominal fee ($2, $5, whatever) and they give you a little membership form. The membership will likely be good for a week.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:34 AM

The beer is only 3.2%. I don't know if there is a liquor store in PC. When I was in SLC a few years ago, there was only one liquor store in the entire city that I could find.
Another bizarre rule is that if there are only two people having dinner, you can't buy a pitcher of beer, only individual glasses.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM

OK, here goes:

I live in Park City.

There are 3 State Liquor Stores in the Park City area. One on Historic Main Street, one in Prospector Square, and one in the Kimball Junction area. Main Street and Prospector Square have extensive wine selections and longer hours. State liquor stores are listed in the phone book.

All state liquor stores are closed on Sundays and holidays, including election days.

You can buy real beer at the liquor stores and 3.2 beer right in the grocery stores.

As the above poster reported, "private clubs" have licenses to pour booze by the drink and you can be a member for a nominal fee. Membership is usually good for a whole year.

You can also have drinks in restaurants, but it can vary according to what type of license they have. You must have food with your drinks.

Nice advantage is you can bring your own bottle of wine into any restaurant and they will open it for you with a cockage fee. It must, however, have a Utah sticker on it, showing that you paid the state taxes on liquor. You can't bring your special vintage from out of state and expect the restaurant to open it for you.

It's not hard at all to get a drink in Utah.

Have fun, the skiing is great!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I'm glad Dayle answered to give you the scoop. We spent a week in Park City last summer and drank plenty! At restaurants we never had to become a member and just ordered drinks. There is a good brew pub- Wasatch- on the Main Street and there is a nice wine shop on Main Street, too. Have fun!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Oops, it's not a "cockage fee", it's a Corkage Fee!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Dayle - LOL - I didn't even notice it in your original post. Too funny!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:38 PM

I think "cockage fees" are illegal in Utah.